Material For Angling a laptop fan on clamps

kenman345

Hello Everyone,

I have a Pacific Breeze Laptop fan that is essentially identical to the highly expensive Tunze aquarium fan they sell for around $75-$80 a piece. I got the fan for $18 and I ordered two cheap automatic feeders, of which I scrapped the clamps for this project and using one feeder on my quarantine tank and one I gave to my friend with a goldfish tank. The clamps will fit the rim of my tank, so that part is easy. What I would like to do is take a flat surface (the top of my clamp) and add something that will be stable for the fan to be angled when I eventually glue it all together and mount it on my tank.

Right now I have the fan kind of leaning over and against the wall using the USB cord to get it at an acceptable angle for it to work quite optimally. Any amount of an angle would do, so I am really hoping people can recommend me something that can work in this situation. If I find nothing else, I may end up building up layers of glue, but I really would rather do something that I can allow the fan to be easily removed and replaced years down the line if the bearings go bad from the saltwater below it.

I appreciate any help you can provide me, and I'll share many pictures when I begin my modifications.

acrylic51

You would get more out of the cooling blowing onto the sump vs the tank.....pieces of acrylic would be an easy DIY project for what you want though....

tur4k

I used to use these when I had a closed hood on my tank. I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but it may give you some ideas. I took two Noctua NF-P12 120mm computer fans and mounted them to a board. I mounted that board to the lid of my hood. I spliced the cables from the fans into one 4 pin molex connector. I used heat shrink tubing to keep the salt water out of the wiring. I powered it with a cheap 110V AC to 12V DC 4 pin molex adapter.

Parts:
110v AC to DC 12v Power Supply with 4pin Molex ($15-$20)
Noctua NF-P12 120mm fans (almost silent) ($20 per fan)

kenman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by tur4k http:///t/397773/material-for-angling-a-laptop-fan-on-clamps#post_3546723
I used to use these when I had a closed hood on my tank. I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but it may give you some ideas. I took two Noctua NF-P12 120mm computer fans and mounted them to a board. I mounted that board to the lid of my hood. I spliced the cables from the fans into one 4 pin molex connector. I used heat shrink tubing to keep the salt water out of the wiring. I powered it with a cheap 110V AC to 12V DC 4 pin molex adapter.

Parts:
110v AC to DC 12v Power Supply with 4pin Molex ($15-$20)
Noctua NF-P12 120mm fans (almost silent) ($20 per fan)

No No, I already have the right fan for my tank size in a nice compact form factor. I am wanting something that can go between the fan and the clamp to give it a little lift/angle so it is best directed at the water surface for my needs.