Mating or Fighting??

bicolor225

My blue-legged hermit crabs have been going at this since this morning. The are like in eachothers shell.....Lol:D Can anybody tell what the hell are they doing lol here is a pic.

paulcoates

My hermits do this to my snails.
I call it killing them basically because it is exactly what they are doing

bicolor225

Oh Yea! Thats why they stoped and they are both alive??? mmmmmmmmmmm..................:notsure: huh
w/e I really don't care what happened as long as they're alive.
-Bicolor

wax32

I'm glad! :D
Sometimes one of my bigger crabs will go up to a little one and try to grab him. The little crab will go into his shell, out of reach. The larger one will literally sit there for an hour watching for the smallest movement of the smaller crab, and then attempt to grab him again, it's amusing. Sometimes the larger one gets a meal, sometimes not.

ophiura

Hermits will spend a great deal of time being "interested" in the shell of another. In the wild, I've seen aggregations of hundreds of them just crawling on each other. If equally matched, I would assume that it doesn't amount to much. But if not, one may end up dead. Shells are paramount to them. Just be sure to have lots of additional shells in there.

bicolor225

Yea...lol. I have like twenty extra ones they keep getting filled by small hermits i have no clue where the smalls ones come from. I didn't buy them. Well, thanks for the info.
-Bicolor

mudplayerx

I am no marine biologist, but I can almost guarantee that the hermit crabs are not fighting. I have witnessed this activity numerous times in my tank and never has the ritual lead to any kind of damage or death.
If you actually look very closely, one of the hermits will be withdrawn into its shell, and the other hermit will occassionally prod it with its claws, while vigorously fanning its maxillipeds.
During this action, at no point does the "dominant" hermit pinch the other in any way. In fact, when they do finally part ways, thier behavior goes back to normal almost instantly.
A few times when I was observing this behavior, I actally separated the two to opposite sides of the tank to see what would happen. Eventually the instigating hermit would make its way over to the very same hermit it had in the prone position and restart the ritual. This leads me to believe that the act is not random, but the hermits are actually communicating on some level.
Once again, to further clarify: in none of the cases were either of the hermit crabs harmed, and in no case did ownership of shells change.
Hermit crabs are highly social animals. They do not have a complex social order like bees or wolves; but more along the line of pidgeons or rats.