mating?????

shady

hi.....i've red in a book that marine fish cant mate in aquariums....if this is true,can u explain why?
thank u. :)

blueberryboomer

Someone on the board had thier Cardinalfish mate, they had pics posted of the babies. It is possible if the conditions are right.. We bought a clarkie clown to put into our reef with our other one in the hopes they will breed someday...They get alnog great, I guess thats the first step. Later Lisa

grouperhead

when fish mate in your tank it usually a fluke. and most of the time you dont even know that they mated because the other fish and inverts eat the eggs and fry so quickly. many species of fish are now specially bred in captivity just for the aquarium though. the most common are clowns. my lfs also gets tank raised dottybacks and emperor snappers. bo

shady

and one more thing plz....in salt water fish,how can u know the differencs between a male and a female????
thanx

fender

Depends on the fish. Often size is the difference. For clowns, after they pair up, one will become larger and more dominant, this is the female. The both start life as males.
For Cardinal fish, I have heard the mouth is a little larger, and sqaurer, as the male keeps the eggs in there for safe keeping.