Matted Algae

masta man

Yo fellas I haven't been on the boards for a while. I was wondering how to get rid of this algae that mattes on my rocks I have tried scrubbing it, using crabs, etc. I would like to know how you all get it off please help me!!!

Peace- Masta

trigger11

Originally Posted by Masta Man
http:///forum/post/2478076
Yo fellas I haven't been on the boards for a while. I was wondering how to get rid of this algae that mattes on my rocks I have tried scrubbing it, using crabs, etc. I would like to know how you all get it off please help me!!!

Peace- Masta

Sounds like hair algae. It is very persistant stuff once it gets in there. Ideally you need to find the source for where the extra nutrients are coming for it. Here are some things to check.
1. Lighting time. Or new lights.
2. Nitrate Levels and Phosphate levels. (By the way, if these levels are reading zero it is because of the matted algae)
3. Stocking level - Ammonia level. If you have more livestock than the system can support it will create excess ammonia. Which will go through the cycle and turn into nitrates.
4. What kind of water is used for top off? Tap Water or RO/DI? If it is tap water then that can have the extra nutrients in it which is usually the phosphates.
Hope that helps.
~Trigger