Max Wattage

clamp

Ok... Here is one for all you pros out there. I am gathering equipment through ---- and a buddy of mine who owns a fish store. I am building a custom suspended canopy for my 110. At this point I am looking at MHs VHO's PCs, and Ive designed three different setups. All of my designs so far stay within the limit of 3-5 watts per gallon. Heres the question:
What happens if I exceed 5 watts per gallon? Why not build a 12 watt per gallon MH setup? (don't bring up water tempurature)
What is the maximum reasonable wattage to gallon ratio?
Thanks
Clamp

thegrog

12 WATTS PER GALLON?!?!?!?!!? That is a bit overkill. Some of the lower light demanding corals (mushrooms, some polyps) would bleach out from that much light as it would not need much of the photosynthetic bacteria within them. They would do fine, but would not be as attractive to you. Those bacteria are what give them their color.
Pretty much the most you would need is 8-9 watts per gallon. That would house most any coral and anemone without problems.
If you have a very deep tank (greater than 36"), you could go up to 12 watts per gallon to get enough light to the bottom of the tank for demanding corals, but other than that it is a bit much. Not to mention the heat thing. And the big increase in your power bill as well!

clamp

I was just using 12WPG as an example. My tank is a 110 tall, so it is very deep. MH is probably the way to go for the pentration aspect. The question becomes then, 2X250W or 1X400 + vho/pc's, etc.
Clamp

slick

If you want to be able to keep anything use 2 400w MH's and 2 110w VHO actinics. This set up will give you 9.2 wpg

reefnut

Originally Posted by slick
If you want to be able to keep anything use 2 400w MH's and 2 110w VHO actinics. This set up will give you 9.2 wpg
I agree, that's the lighting I have on my 110g... I like it!!

thegrog

I also agree with that. I feel that spreading the light out among a few bulbs is better than one very powerful bulb.
You could also just go with 2x400w 20,000K MHs. With such a deep tank, adding the extra VHOs may make it a little too blue. If you want a dusk to dawn effect, then 10,000K MHs and the actinics are the way to go. Personal preference.

clamp

Heres my current design idea... Im looking on auction sites for hardware (ballasts and such)... 2X250 halides and a single 48 inch PC wired to a master switch. (that should put me slightly over 5WPG) When the master switch is thrown the MHs power down and the 2X40W flouresecents come on for the night. I have read that there are red floresecens for the night time. Its all a concept until i land some hardware, and that will seal the actual DIY build.

hurt

I don't think 12 wpg is too much and it won't kill your shrooms. I run 720 watts(500MH+220VHO) on my 55g=13wpg, and I have some shrooms and zoos on the highest rocks, and they look great. I have a couple of the same acro frags, and the one's toward the top are growing much faster than those placed on the bottom rocks. So, my lighting must not be overkill. :rolleyes: With a tank as deep as yours, I would definetaly go with the 400's.

clamp

Well Guys/Gals
Thanks for your input on this... The canopy has been built and it up and running. I ended up with 1 400W in the center, and 4x40W atinic flourecsents... I mounted a large intake fan to move the heat away from the tank, and had to mount a large fan on the MH ballast itself (got way too hot). The nice part is that everything is independently switched, so I can runt he atinics in the morning and evening, simulating sun up and sun down. and then i fire the halide for mid day sun.
The MH is a 6500K Iwasaki, and its nice and bright, but truth be told.. a touch yellow.
Words of caution... never build a suspended canopy.. its a bad idea. TOo much light escapes into the room
I will be rebuilding this unit over the next year as a canopy that sits on the tank, with 2 400W MH and 4X40 flours... that should be better...
Learning everyday!
Clamp