Maxi-Jet Power Heads

marinemarty

Hi All, I have recently added 3 Maxi-Jet 1200's to my 75 gallon reef. These things have raised my tank temp 4 degrees and change. Is this normal?? i went from 82-83 to 86-87. I shut off 2 and have a fan blowing across the tank and temp is coming dowm 1/2 degree an hour. Besides getting a chiller, what can i do?? Thanks
Martin

steve40

I was actually told that putting PHs in the tank does increase the temp, I have two in my 40 gallon but the temperature has not gone up but thats because my heater shuts off if it gets too hot. I didnt really beleive that PHs would make that much of a difference untill you said something, then I was like, oh i guess they do make a difference, im gonna have to keep an eye on my temp from now on. Wouldnt your thermostat on your heater keep the temperature regular if you just turned it down a bit?

T

thomas712

Just my opinion but with the new powerheads the water is getting better circulation therefore the heat is more evenly distributed. Just turn the EBO down a few degrees and this should take care of it. It's like the human body the better your own circulation the warmer a person is, as you get older the circulation slows down and a person gets colder. The Maxi Jet 1200 do run more amps than say the 900 or lower but I don't think that it would change the temp that much.
Thomas

cap'n pete

Any electrical motor, whether it is a powerhead or a return pump, gives off heat. If that motor is immersed in water, then the water absorbs that heat. It just isn't as noticable because water is a much better cooling medium than air. There are actually powerheads out there that have the motor above the water to keep from transfering heat energy, but they aren't very popular. About the only thing you can do if you can not get the temp down is add a chiller or create a closed loop system with the pump in air not water. Expensive options either way.

frankl15207

I have mine on a wavemaker. That seems to keep them from getting too hot. I can't remember if I was told 1/2 degree or
1 1/2 degree on the heat factor for the powerheads. I replaced two 1200s with two 900s. Not a lot of difference in circulation, but as Thomas pointed out, big difference in energy use. I have a chiller on mine that runs in the warmer weather, but right now the tank temp doesn't go above 82.

T

thomas712

Hope this helps
Maxi Jets Wattage:
600 = 7.5 watts per hour
900 = 8.5 watts per hour
1200 = 20 watts per hour!!!
Model V/Hz Consumption
(in watts)
Maximum
Flow
Maximum
Pumping Ht.
Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price*
l/h g/h meters inches
MP400 120/60 5 400 106 .73 29 $27.90
MP600 120/60 7.5 600 160 1.35 53 $32.85
MP900 120/60 8.5 870 230 1.17 46 $38.40
MP1200 120/60 20 1110 295 1.74 69 $42.85
Thomas

marinemarty

Thanks All,
Well i got my 1200's for approx. 20 bucks each. I might sell these and get the 900's instead. I will see.
Thanks Again
Martin

leboeuf

I have 4* 1200's running in my cycling tank. The temp is usually around 77 - 80 with glass lids on. The room faces south and gets humid in there. I live in TX, where it is always hot. Have not noticed a severe problem yet, but I might be changing my story when it hits 105 in July..............

majakarot

i run 2 maxi-jet 1200s and a hagen 402 in my 75 and the temp never goes above 81,(or below 80) and my heater runs at night too