Maxi Jet Powerhead question

mathman360

:thinking: I very new the saltwater hobby. I'm really exited about being part of this message board. Truly honored. I have a 75 gallon tank. I know I need two powerheads. But what size should I get for this size tank? MP400, MP600, MP900, or MP1200? Thanx all :help:

steve24

welcome to the boards, and this addicting hobby...lol
i have two maxi-jet 1200 on my 55g reef ...
steve

reefforbrains

only a difference of 65gph between the two
MJ1200 is 295GPH @ 0 Head
MJ900 is 230GPH @ 0 Head
I like large flow, but the mj1200 is over double the power consumption. Long term its cheapr for mj900s
Not a huge deal because they BOTH run pretty low, but when your talking about adding 2,3,... 5, ect. The more lights,pumps, filter and so on you run. the more expensive monthly charge. Not normally a concern in this hobby because most just get used to the expense, but why waste moneyever if uneeded. JMO

volitan_fa

Originally Posted by sepulatian
What type of a system are you planning? Are you planning a reef or FOWLR?
Yeah, I would definitely decide what kind of system you're keeping first, including what types of corals if any. That will help you decide. I have a MJ900 and it gives a pretty hefty flow.

I'm running 4 maxijet 600 in 75 gal.The 900 and 1200 were to strong for my softies and LPS.I also had problems with snails getting sucked into the intake.The 600's pull isn't strong enough to suck up my Astrea and Turbos.They can easily run across the strainer and not get themselves chopped into shreds.
Just a thought.

row

I got a 900 in my 55 reef, but it takes up alot of space. I'm looking at some different brands that are more compact, so that I can conceal them a little easier. Azoo makes some small, but powerful powerheads.

ryanbush

i've got 2 900s, a 1200 and a 600 in my 55 reef and i thought i needed more flow?? i also have 110lbs of live rock so i'm trying to keep from gettind any dead spots

frankthetank

Originally Posted by ryanbush
i've got 2 900s, a 1200 and a 600 in my 55 reef and i thought i needed more flow?? i also have 110lbs of live rock so i'm trying to keep from gettind any dead spots
Wow... you gots lots of flow.
I have two 900's in my 46bow. Along with a fluval 305, I have 720gph flow.
I would think you have more than enough flow.
I'll be honest though, I have often thought about putting a 600 behind the rock. But when I look back there, there is coraline everywhere! Seems my flow is doing a good job as is.

ryanbush

Originally Posted by FranktheTank
Wow... you gots lots of flow.
I have two 900's in my 46bow. Along with a fluval 305, I have 720gph flow.
I would think you have more than enough flow.
I'll be honest though, I have often thought about putting a 600 behind the rock. But when I look back there, there is coraline everywhere! Seems my flow is doing a good job as is.
i have a 1200and a 600 on one end with water going over the top of my rocks, and the 900s on one end with one going behind the rocks and one in front, i'm thinking about getting another 1200 and pulling out the 600 and using it for maintance, with what i've got one i'm only turning over 17 times, would like to get it up around 20-22

frankthetank

17x is good flow. I am at 16x and I have no problems with cyano or dead spots. But, it's your tank... never let anyone tell you you can't do something.

ryanbush

Originally Posted by FranktheTank
17x is good flow. I am at 16x and I have no problems with cyano or dead spots. But, it's your tank... never let anyone tell you you can't do something.
i'm always looking for suggestions on ways to improve, i might not go up any on flow, there aren't really any dead spots...