Maxijet mod question

dinki

Hey guys, please excuse me as I am a newbie. I've got a 55 gal tank with two Maxijet 1200's. I'd like to mod them to increase the GPH and vary the flow direction.
I've come across the SureFlow mod that would appear to drastically increase the GPH but what about flow direction? Does this just create a stronger narrow stream? The pics I've seen of the mod looks like the shroud mounts on the intake side (stock bottom port), but don't show the output side. Does it continue to use the same output deflector?
I've also seen the HydorFlo mod. While not specifically for the MJ's, it does appear to alter the flow direction. I'm guessing that this would somehow restrict the flow somewhat?
I'm considering getting a SureFlow for one PH and HydorFlo for the other. Would this provide the best of both worlds?

teresaq

I have the gulfstream II mods on my mj1200s. wow its a lot of flow. I have one on each end of my 150 gal and I have plenty of flow thru out the tank.The hydor will restrict the flow, but moves it around in a circle.

fatboyjoe

If you have sps coral and course sand, than yes. if you have mostly softies and fine sand, than no. What's wrong with your flow now?

dinki

I bought the Sure Flow 1600 mod and it sure does move a lot of water. It claims 1600 GPH with my MJ1200 and can even move 2100 GPH with the large propellor. I'm hoping that it will keep me from having dead spots. It's a bit noisy at times but I'm hoping that it's just a matter of breaking it in.