maxima clams gone!

chunkysoup

so over the past several days two of my 5" maxima clams have dissapeared... By disappear, i mean there is nothing left but the shell. I have noticed that my chocolate chip starfish had been paying extra close attention to the clams lately and was wondering if it could have caused this? Has anyone ever heard of this happening before?

coral keeper

Your chocolate chip starfish probably ate it. What els do you have in your tank? Chocolate chip starfish aren't reef safe.

candycane

Chocolate Chip Starfish will eat Tridacna clams. It may have injured them and had help though (hermits?). Clams that large, usually a single animal will take longer then a day or two to clean out the shell.

viper_930

Bristle worms are very often mistakenly blamed for the death of a clam when they actually just show up after the clam is already dying or dead.

candycane

I don't know if I agree with the bristle worm scenario. Bristle worms sting usually whether they want to or not. Larger clams are less susceptible to the stings and don't really notice them that much unless they are completely unprotected at the byssal opening. If you have clams in your tank that are attached to a rock or even in the sand (especially in the sand) you can usually lift an established clam up (DON'T OR YOU COULD KILL IT) and find several of bristle worms on the underside.
The reason they are most of the time found near the byssal opening and not near the ligament is PROBABLY due to the decaying matter coming out of that area. Granted, as I said above though, the smaller ones are going to be more prone to noticing the stings and even become rather stressed out due to them, then a larger one would. That is just in high enough numbers however.
Just a thought. But byssal threads SMELL. I have not gotten around to it that much, but I think they are constantly decaying due to lack of blood flow and new ones are constantly being created. Nothing is more enticing to a bristle worm then the smell of matter dying off.