maxima doesnt want to fully open

mikev

as title says, it has been this way for a couple of weeks. any idea why?
sg 1.025
amm 0
trite 0
trate 0
cal 420
alk 8

candycane

I can barely see that pic. It looks like a black one with blue stripes. If you want to, turn the thing around so it's incurrent siphon is facing forward and see if you can get a clearer picture. Just don't pull the thing if it's already attached.

abe

meh... no pinched mantle... it'll be fine. just get it upright on a rock or something

candycane

What kind of lighting do you have? It's lieing on it's side for 1 of 2 reasons. First is that something may be bothering it; second is that it is getting to much light.
The thing that I notice is between the first and second fold on the opposite side facing the camera, isn't extending all the way over the shell. What else is in the tank? The first fold even looks like it is missing a small chunk.
Here is the third thing, it MIGHT be a Crocea. Chances are about 50/50, but I can not see the incurrent siphon. It has a similar coloration pattern, and I have seen dozens of Croceas that have scutes.

viper_930

It looks fine to me. There's a little vermetid snail on the left side in the second pic slightly blocking the mantle, but you can easily break that tube off.

candycane

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
http:///forum/post/2707053
It looks fine to me. There's a little vermetid snail on the left side in the second pic slightly blocking the mantle, but you can easily break that tube off.
How did you see that Vipe? I can see that something is obstructing the mantle I just can't see what. Probably why that fold is in. Look at the middle fold; see the bump that looks like a protruding eye that it has on the top, the little thing that looks like a "tube" coming off the mantle? I just thought it might be another protruding eye.
If you break the tube off, it might start opening all the way. When clams get broken scutes, it will "stick" their mantle and cause them to not open all the way. That tube may, or most likely is, doing the same thing.

mikev

I transferred the maxima from the nano to my 120. its doing much better now. im guessing it likes the new lighting?!