Maxima Placement Help

truperc

I have bought a Maxima clam, and was planning to place it on my rock work.
The guy at the LFS suggested I put it on the sand.
He said they are more prone to a bacterial disease on the rock work.
ORA and others say the rock work.
I am prone to go with rock work rather than the guy at the LFS, but was hoping for some input.

spanko

From ORA;
"They require high light levels in the aquarium and are best placed high in the tank, close to the lights. They prefer rocky substrate to attach to. The reflection of colors will change as one views the mantle from different angles. "

woody189

Not to thread jack, but it's related.
I just recently bought my 1st clam (maxima).
I put a piece of LR under the sand, and placed the clam on top of it. It has attached to the rock.
Clams don't really move do they? I know they can, but when they are happy, they stay there.
So what is the difference if you place it on the LR, or a piece of LR in the sand?? Either way, it's attached to rock. I don't see a difference.

outsdr2

Originally Posted by woody189
http:///forum/post/3062336
Not to thread jack, but it's related.
I just recently bought my 1st clam (maxima).
I put a piece of LR under the sand, and placed the clam on top of it. It has attached to the rock.
Clams don't really move do they? I know they can, but when they are happy, they stay there.
So what is the difference if you place it on the LR, or a piece of LR in the sand?? Either way, it's attached to rock. I don't see a difference.
The high level of lighting is the main difference.its hard to get sufficeint rays way down in the sand. although I am sure the clam would find the occasional sand storm a irritant. I have a Maxima and it does well high in the rockwork with medium flow. I can post a picture if the OP doe not mind.

woody189

Originally Posted by outsdr2
http:///forum/post/3064902
The high level of lighting is the main difference.its hard to get sufficeint rays way down in the sand. although I am sure the clam would find the occasional sand storm a irritant. I have a Maxima and it does well high in the rockwork with medium flow. I can post a picture if the OP doe not mind.
Really, is that all??
I often read that ppl say that when you find them in the wild, they are usually on rock, which is why WE should keep them on rock. So it's like their natural habitat.
Not disagreeing, just not sure if that's the ONLY reason. Maybe it is, I really don't know.
What you say makes perfect sense though.

candycane

Tanks push different amounts of light to different levels based on the amount of lighting. I just got done, several of hours ago actually, where the penetration of the light was barely effected even over a two foot aquarium. It was reading something like 450 at the surface and 420 on the substrate, LOL.
Anyways, Maximas and Croceas are probably more prone to "predators" in the sand, but I have never noticed a difference when it comes to bacterial infection whether on the substrate or the rockwork. Either way, I have seen Maximas survive for YEARS on both substrate and rockwork - and the number that I have seen is probably in the thousands.