Maximizing Bio-Filtration

joojoo

I finally got my 29 filled up, 6" DSB, small layer of CC on top, 3 large base rocks. I wanted to do a plenum in the DSB, but I was afraid the Jawfish might mess that up. The tank is an Eclipse system, so the filter is built into the hood. I have a filter pad where the intake brings water in and a large pad of bio-floss underneath that seeded from my 20 for 2 weeks, and I removed the bio-wheel.
I have a 10 gallon underneath it, not filled up yet. I'm still working on the plumbing : /. Instead of just being a regular sump, I'll probably throw in a small bag of aragonite sand and some Chaetomorpha and a light for a small fuge. I do not need a DSB in the fuge as I'm pretty sure the DT already has a deep enough one, lol.
I want to stock this fairly heavily, so I need as much bio-filtration as possible. I have arranged the rocks to give several different territories, but only trial and error will tell.
What would you suggest and why:
1) Small layer of aragonite sand in the fuge, or CC? I already have some extra CC because I did not use it all in the DT. The sand might give a bit more surface area for bacteria, but CC might be better breeding grounds for pods?
2) Best bio-media? The area where the bio-wheel goes has really good water flow through it and if not filled with something is just wasted space. Bio-balls are too large to fit in here as only a small handful would fit, so I need something small. I'm considering Aqua Chargers by Tropical Science. They say they are pre-cured with bacteria, but I don't want them for that, they say they have great surface area, and they are pretty small and would fit well in this compartment in a mesh bag... Anyone suggest something better? I couldn't find any good reviews on bio-media.
Any suggestions?

joojoo

I have 2x18 Coralife bulbs in the fixture atm. Will this sustain some decorative macroalgae? I would like to decorate the tank with Red Grape Caulerpa and Feather Caulerpa.

joojoo

I have 2x18 Coralife bulbs in the fixture atm. Will this sustain some decorative macroalgae? I would like to decorate the tank with Red Grape Caulerpa and Feather Caulerpa.

adroitmind

My LFS guy uses plastic army men in his filters to maximize bio filtration. He says it's cheaper than bio balls. It makes sense to me, after all it's just more surface area you are after. Never tried this but just a suggestion.

reefkprz

cheap nylon potscrubbers are great for DIY bio media they have like 3x the area of a bio ball. just keep in mind you want the cheapest ones you can find the super cheap ones dont have fungicides in them and are safe for tanks if you go buy a $2 nylon potcscrubber its going to be laced with fungicides and isnt safe to use. usually you can pick them up for 50 cents each.

tx reef

Get a real good skimmer that is way overrated for your tank....
I know it is not bio-filtration, but it will help out a lot more in a heavily stocked tank.

joojoo

Originally Posted by ophiura
Can you clarify "heavily stocked" in a 29g??
My wish list is 2 Jawfish, 3-4 firefish, several Neon Gobies, 2 Watchman Gobies. If I can prove to myself that I can keep nitrates down, eventually a pair of CC stars.

joojoo

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
cheap nylon potscrubbers are great for DIY bio media they have like 3x the area of a bio ball. just keep in mind you want the cheapest ones you can find the super cheap ones dont have fungicides in them and are safe for tanks if you go buy a $2 nylon potcscrubber its going to be laced with fungicides and isnt safe to use. usually you can pick them up for 50 cents each.
I think having some Chaeto in the fuge will be like using potscrubbers, but nonetheless, these would have to go into the fuge. I need something small that can replace the bio-wheel, if you know what I'm talking about (a small, high flow area, but is very shallow). I think I will try the Aqua Chargers, they are the perfect size and claim to have maximum surface area.
Any suggestions on the fuge's substrate? Can macros thrive under 36w NO? Thanks for all the ideas so far.

socal57che

Originally Posted by AdroitMind
My LFS guy uses plastic army men in his filters...
:hilarious
I wonder...should I use the mine sweeps or the grenade tossers?!!!! :notsure:

ophiura

Originally Posted by joojoo
My wish list is 2 Jawfish, 3-4 firefish, several Neon Gobies, 2 Watchman Gobies. If I can prove to myself that I can keep nitrates down, eventually a pair of CC stars.

Personally, the biofilter has little to do with this. There are only so many fish you can keep in a tank, just due to stress, territoriality, etc.
I think this would more than exceed the capacity of the tank, and I think you would lose fish. You can have perfect water, and lose fish due to disease.

joojoo

While I agree, disease is also avoidable. I have researched this and gotten lots of feedback from Mr. Fenner. 'We' are pretty confident that a tank full of small, peaceful fish, given they all have their own territory, which I hope I have provided, of course some adjusting is inevitable, will coexist peacefully. So I believe the bio-filter is the biggest concern in this situation.

joojoo

Originally Posted by earlybird
Why the crushed coral on top of the sand? FYI I'm cycling a 29 and am planning 3 fish.
For the Jawfish and Gobies to reinforce their burrows along with some rock rubble. A mixture of substrate sizes is prefered.

joojoo

Originally Posted by earlybird
makes sense but you might look into larger grained sand.
I have 2 sizes of sand and CC.