Maxspect R420R (Razor) by Coralvue

snakeblitz33

Has anyone done any research on this lighting fixture? They make two different sizes... a 20" and a 27", the 20" one is 120w of light and the 27" uses 160w of light. They have onboard controllers for times and dimming control. They say that the light is a little "pink" at max, but for most tanks, the LEDs will have to be dialed down a little bit to let your corals adjust anyways. A 20" fixture is $399 and can compete with the big boys (so I have seen from a couple hours of research that I have done.) It also passively cools most of the time - and has a couple of built in fans that only turn on when the fixture heats up to a point. It can also be hung over the top of the tank or it has these rails that are adjustable so that you can fit it on larger size aquariums.
Coralvue is the manufacturer of Reef Octopus brand skimmers, reactors, neck cleaners, and skimmate lockers etc. I am using Octopus brand equipment, mostly, for my reef tank,... I don't think it would be too difficult to trust that they know how to make a decent LED lighting fixture, yeah? I think two would be fine over the top of a 75g reef tank, and I also think that it is a great fixture for any novice like me to get into LEDs at a decent - (and not outrageous) price.
Anyone else have any thoughts on this fixture?
Would you purchase this fixture?
Do you see any potential problems with this fixture?

gemmy

Maxspect is the manufacturer not Coralvue. Coralvue is the distributor. I have seen the fixtures in person and I really like them!!!!

reefr

i have heard mixed on maxspect...the mazarra i hear were AWFUL. I dont know abou the the razors.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/393070/maxspect-r420r-razor-by-coralvue#post_3494033
Maxspect is the manufacturer not Coralvue. Coralvue is the distributor. I have seen the fixtures in person and I really like them!!!!
Ah, thanks for the correction. I was unclear on that, so thanks. I'm glad you really like them - it shows promise.... They don't seem like a bad fixture for the price. It will get me into LEDs at a price that I can afford, and it looks pretty cool and has some features that I was looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REEFR
http:///t/393070/maxspect-r420r-razor-by-coralvue#post_3494038
i have heard mixed on maxspect...the mazarra i hear were AWFUL. I dont know abou the the razors.
Thanks for responding to the thread.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by REEFR http:///t/393070/maxspect-r420r-razor-by-coralvue#post_3494038
The mazarra p-series are pretty good. I have been seeing AWESOME results with my fixtures. I have had the fixture for over 6 months and they have been doing well. I had a rough start with a bad cable and an overheating power supply. I contacted Coralvue and they sent me the pieces quick and even bumped the delivery to Saturday via FedEx so I could get my shipment quicker.

shane784

Anybody else have experience with the Razors? looking into getting one this weekend.. still "Iffy" about it.

acrylic51

Mixed reviews here as well....Have actually seen these over a couple tanks, and ummmmm Honestly my money would be spent elsewhere.....Seth you can build a better unit IMO to exactly what you want.....Hate the rail systems......

shane784

attractive points that I find nice is the timer function with ability to adjust intensity, high power for sps and overall workmanship... I jus can't decide between the 2 color temps they offer.. it would be going on a 20 gal tall clownfish tank with corals; but I don't wanna be restricted to sps or lps via units color temp.. I want sps and they say the 10k is good for that but I also have rainbow acans now that I want to look SICK under the 16k...
any suggestions?

acrylic51

I'm curious.....If these are such "sick" units, why are you limited to 2 color choices....Should be able to dial them in to your liking.......

shane784

When I said SICK I was referring to my rainbow acan lol.. but the units offer 2 temp options: 10K and 16K but both channels on the units are fully dimmable blue n white