May have put my tank through a mini cycle

the_bandit

Well. Im an idiot. About 2 weeks ago, I ran out of prime for my water and went to the LFS to pick some more up. They didnt have my brand so I bough Seachem bundle pack with water clarifyer, water primer, and then this other stuff that prevents "New tank syndrom". Well I thought you were suppose to us all three when either adding top off water, starting a tank, or when adding a new fish. Because I was doing a 10g water change out of my 55g reef, I added all three.
GINORMOUS MISTAKE.
I dont know what is going on now. Corals have started to shrivel, close and open only 1/3 normal, my cleaner and pepperment shrimp have died, I am developing a brown film algae all over my rocks, equipment, glass, coral, sand. I check my water and conditions were normal. Nothing out of the ordinary. I did a 25g water change 3 days ago. When I did, i siphoned the top layer of sand, swept my rock and sucked up the ditrous, removed surviving coral and placed them in my mantis tank and now they are thriving, I feed only twice a week now, I have reduced my lighting scheduale. I am really at a lose now.
I hope someone can help. Ive deffinetly learned (the hard way) that chemicals arent always the answer....

tank a holic

well im glad you learned but sorry you did the hard way
that said
something is killing your stuff.. if you tested and results were fine then you may not be testing for the right chemical

kingsmith

At very least let the water you use sit out and evaporate off the chlorine instead of using those new chemicals which have apparently messed your business up

the_bandit

Im really leaning towards the chemical that is messing up my tank. I have brown coloration on my sand and brown film algae all over my glass and rocks. I dont think it is diatoms. I know what that looks like. I think I may have to pack up and start again.
Avast! A new reason to go BIGGER!

choprjohn

Tank a nolic, I like your avatar, I would like to see it full size, do have a bigger pic of it? Dont worry I wont steal it....lol Johnnie