mean clowns

sleasia

I'm just wondering what is best to do... I have four false perc clowns. all of a sudden three began teaming up and aggressing one. so after 3 days of this fearing the "victim" would be starved I moved him to the qt tank where he did well for a week or two. then thinking the others might have forgotten the "histoire" I eventually returned the "victim" to the main tank, only to find that the other three clowns had forgotten nothing and continued to nip and aggress the one clown off into a corner. he is now hiding in the rockwork. should I remove him? leave him in? what should I do? He doesn't look sick at all and was eating fine in the qt tank? I can't figure out why the other three are picking on him?

E

emeralcrab

Who knows about clowns, I had two little black ones, best of buddies during the day, when the lights went out (I have lunar lights) the one picked on the other one. I guess the one that got picked on after the lights went out decided he had enough and jumped out, found him three days later on a towel I had laying by the tank.
Now the other one looks lonely. I even have a cover on the tank but he made it through the back 2 " where the pipes come in and out.

hot883

It is only feasible to keep 2 clowns. NO MORE. The pair will pick to death any others. Eventually the 3rd clown now will become the newly picked on one.

onad

Not so true i have had three orange peculare clowns for over a year now. The sizes are farely the same about 2"-2.5", but i have no problems with any one of them getting singled out. Yes the will chase each other and do there little shake shake in the water but no problems.

hatessushi

Sleasia wrote;
I'm just wondering what is best to do... I have four false perc clowns.

She said she has 4 clowns, not 3. I have seen it in a lot of tanks where there are 4 clowns (same species) and 1 usually gets picked on. I would get rid of 2 of them.

catawaba

Ditto. Keep two--one will 'become' the dominant female, the other the male. Maybe trade them for a nice tang or blenny. ***)

sleasia

Ok...so I should take the two which seem to be the less agressive and not the dominant pair out of the tank and into the qt...I'm setting up another tank so they could probably stay in the qt together until the second tank is set up.....does that sound ok?