Mean Damselfish.

duce

I have a huge humbug damsel fish in my reef tank that measures almost 3 - 3.5 inches across. He is by far the meanest fish I've ever owned. He has definitely established his territory as he has thrown sand around until the place looks like he wants it. He has already demolished a smaller damselfish. My question is: Is he already too big to add anything in with him or should I take him back and start anew?
Thanx,
Duce

mandy

I have mean damsel fish that are mean too.
They are not as big as yours and they
have their own hierarchy. I would suggest
getting a fish larger than the damsel if
your tank will accomodate it and see how
it works. Maybe the dude just needs
to be put in his place, ha ha! My damsels
absolutely wreck my tank and I am constant-
ly having to put the substrate back over
the bare spots in the glass. I have a larger
yellow tang that the damsels do not bother
and a coral beauty that stands up to the
"bully" damsel I have. I guess if your
fish has commited murder, I would probably
try something smaller.
Mandy

mandy

Originally posted by Mandy:
I have mean damsel fish that are mean too.
They are not as big as yours and they
have their own hierarchy. I would suggest
getting a fish larger than the damsel if
your tank will accomodate it and see how
it works. Maybe the dude just needs
to be put in his place, ha ha! My damsels
absolutely wreck my tank and I am constant-
ly having to put the substrate back over
the bare spots in the glass. I have a larger
yellow tang that the damsels do not bother
and a coral beauty that stands up to the
"bully" damsel I have. I guess if your
fish has commited murder, I would probably
try something smaller.
Mandy

jtirone

I found that the clarkii clown that I have keeps my meanest damsel in check. Before I added that, the damsel went after everyone and killed 3 yellow tails.
I would say either remove the fish, or add a larger fish to keep its aggression in check.

jimos

IF YOU PLAN ON ADDING ANY OTHER FISH TO YOUR TANK I WOULD RECCOMEND ON GETTING HIM OUT.
DAMSEL ARE VERY TERRITORIAL AND ALSO UNAFRAID THEY WILL TAKE OVER AN AREA OF YOUR TANK.

fishgirl

I have had many an aggressive damsel in my day, but the yellow-tailed I have in my main tank now is LAST in line second to my yellow tang and seabae clown. He stays out of the tang's way's as he's three times his size, and claudia the clown is the one who really keeps him in check...

clownfish

You could try a big old maroon clown. He would keep the damsel at bay, but he might bother your other fish. A yellow or regal tang would be a good choice too. Regal tangs are 60 bucks when large, but only 30 when small.

fishgirl

Originally posted by krazzydart:
get a large trigger (yum,yum) no more damsel....... get rid of him...

heheehehee it won't work, cuz I had a fairly big (6") Picasso who couldn't even catch my damsels!!!!!!

T

tattooedlife

Git rid of the hum bug, they have no use in a reef tank. They are way to aggresive.

lionfish

I only get damsels for to cycle. As soon as I am done with them I get rid of the little *@#$%&~
. Although they are good beginner fish.

ktwheet

As probably the only person on this board dumb enough to have a damsel only tank, I have seen all kinds. The one damsel that I am really attached to is my Talbot damsel which is bright pink with a yellow head. I have never seen them anywhere else or heard anyone mention them, so they might not actually be damsels, but that's what it was sold to me as. I had a huge domino damsel that ruled the roost until two of my yellow tails ganged up on him and murdered him. They also killed three of my green chromis. The only thing that has lived with them and survived is my talbot which is half their size and nonagressive. Go figure.

kmr

Damsel fish suck. I made the mistake of leaving a Velvet Damsel in my reef. Monday I had to remove most of my rock to catch him. He was the smartest fish I have ever owned. I will never cycle a tank with them again.

I had a talbor damsel, I have only seen two, the one I had and the other one in the tank with it. She was gorgous, but brought back white spot,a nd because I keep my temp. up, it pretty much killed everything before I knew what I had (happened like the first two months of having my small tank)
~~Megan

odb

I have a 66 gal with a 4" yellow tang (added 2 weeks ago) a 2" green chromis, a scooter blenny, and a 1.5" 4 stripe damsel. My damsel is probably the nicest fish in the tank. He buddies around wih the tang, almost like they are schooling. Also, it looked like my tang had ich or something on one of his fins, and the damsel picked it off him! Maybe mine was cross-bred with a cleaner wrasse or something ;p