Measuring Salinity

dacia

What are the pros and cons of the swing-arm hydrometer and the more expensive refractometers? Are the dirt cheap hydrometers accurate enough to use without ever buying a refractometer?

karajay

You left out "glass hydrometer". That's me! :) I have two, a small one that stays in the tank, and a large one for regular testing purposes.

YOu know I always said my glass hydrometer was good enough for me. I always had a hard time figuring exactly where to read it. Anyway long story short I found a crazy good deal on what seams to be a good refractometer and after I calibrated it I found I was quite a bit high on the salkt. Been slowly bringing it down. So my vote is for the refractometer.
Rich

gatorcsm

If you can afford it, the digital hand held hydrometers by www.apaarusa.com
Its really neat. The site seems to be down right now, but I would suspect that it would be back soon enough...

nm reef

I currently use three swing arm hydrometers but every chance I get I have a trusted LFS check my SG with the refractometer they use. The swing arms have all been accurate so far. I do intend to pick up a refractometer of my own but the swing arms have been effective for about three years now.

krowleey

i use a swing arm when mixing my water and fine tune it with a Refractometer. Swing arms are ballpark. i posted this same question awile back most seem to go with Refractometer for being most acruate.

D

daniel411

Currently useing a plastic swing-arm, though a refracto is on its way "fed ex" as we speak! They're popping up for around $40 in alot of catalogues/online dealers.

stumpdog

I used a hydrometer for two years and then picked up a refractometer, and I am glad I did. My swing-arm measured high and I am glad I made the investment.
Tanks-
Jeremy

C

cardstars

I use 2 sea test plastic hydrometers and they are dead on for accuracy! i am training to become a water plant operator and have tested my water in the labs and have no need to anymore cause the sea test hydrometers are actually pretty accurate (yes surprised me too) :)

overanalyzer

I use a swing arm but I would like to get one of those auto-probes that you just insert and it constantly monitors it!

T

toungetwster

Nothing but a refracto here....once I found out how much a swing arm was off...never went back!

jumpfrog

Used the swing arm here until I needed to do hypo and then bought a refractometer. My swing arm was only off by .001 so not too bad. I'll still use it for water changes and occasionally monitor with refrac. Prices have definitely come down on them by the way.

infalable

Hydrometer until I bought a refractometer. The refractometer is so much better. I never got consistant readings unti I bought the refractometer.

dacia

I currently use the Sea Test hydrometer, but after reading everyone else's experiences here, I plan to definitely get a refractometer!
I did have to perform hypo not too long ago, and it was a pain in the anal region of my body...