Meat Coral Placement

casey

I bought a meat coral 2 days ago and placed it toward the top of my live rock in a 75 gallon tank. I just read that it likes low lighting. Right now it looks like it is doing well but I'm concerned that maybe it won't like all the lighting and may start to react to it. I have 500 watts of lighting. Should I disturb it and move it to the substrate or let it go since it's doing okay for the present time. What corals like to be high on the live rock. I have some empty spots that need to be filled in.
Thanks for your input.
Casey

casey

Anybody have an answer? Is it better to leave it where it is or should a move it before it starts failing?
Thanks,

wetone

Casey
I have a meat coral that is the lower 1/3 of my tank and it is doing awesome. I have 2 X 250W MH and 2 X 110 VHO in a 75 G. It is probably best to start most corals lower and workl them up towards the top, this will eliminate shock if your lights are way different than LFs.
HTH

casey

Thanks for your help. I was also wondering are meat corals considered a brain coral. They look very similar? I couldn't find meat corals in my book although I found some information online.
Any suggestions for corals that don't mind being higher up on the live rock?

hairtrigger

I was also wondering if meat corals are like brains. My LFS has some for pretty good prices, and they cool. If they're not like brains, or even if, what are their requirements? Water flow, lighting, etc. Thanks. :cool:

wetone

Meat corals look very similar to brain corals. They have a hard coral skeleton that the coral is attached to. The coral expands and contracts while attached. I have the coral in a med light and current area and it seems to bust out of its skeleton every day during light period. I feed "meaty" food(shrimp, krill, etc) to it about twice a week.

jonthefb

meat corals are a member of teh mussidae family and are actually more simlar to cynaria and blastomussa corals than open brains of the genus trachyphyllia...however they are similar in the sense that they are large polyped stony corals who love to be fed meaty foods every now and then...i feed this one specimen at the lfs 2 whole krill once a week and he just gobbles them up!
good luck
jon

hairtrigger

Nice, sounds cool. So, would you say they aren't complicated or high maintenance? Cause if they are fairly easy, I may go buy one today. Yay! :cool: