Mega-Flow Tanks?

ortho bill

It's only been 6 weeks but I'm thinking of upgrading my 37 gal tank to a 65 gal. I'm seeing the limitations of my original purchase. Anyone have one of these pre-drilled All-Glass tanks? What's your experience? Thanks, Bill

squidd

I just bought a 210 drilled "Mega Flow" tank...
And I'll tell you what, those Big Black Overflows (2 on mine) are UGLY
:eek: :nope:
They are Huge, and take up alotta space in the middle of the tank.
They might be OK if you put your tank up against a wall and pile lots of rock up against it to hide it...:rolleyes:
I almost didn't pick mine up after it came in...in fact I didn't, I left it on the loading dock...
I plan on a three side viewable setup and those things cover 1/3 the back wall...Not gonna work for my application...
The LFS I ordered it through (no wanting to be stuck with a "special order" tank) were nice enough to set me up with Two "Tide Pool" clear stand up overflows...If I was willing to "cut out" the Mega flows...
Not a problem, and the tank will be much "cleaner" for my application...
The tanks themselves are wonderfull, reasonably priced, and the overflow "design" (pulling water from top and bottom) looks like it would work well...
If you don't "mind" the big black box (or can cover it) I'd say they are great...you should get one...

ortho bill

Thanks,
The overflow for a 65 is all the way to the left of the tank. My current tank is only 30' wide and the base has a center support so a sump was not an option. I believe that with the 65 I could have a sump to hide the skimmer etc., double my water volume and give me additional livestock options. I'll have to try and sell my 30' wide lighting (USA orbit 2 x 65w w/ moonlight) which I love for one 36' wide in addition to the current tank and base. Any suggestions on how to do this without taking a "terrible" beating? As I said, I'm only 6 weeks into this but I figure if I'm gonna do it- now's the time. I'm nervous about the plumbing aspect. Was it difficult?
The last hurdle will be attempting to explain it to the Mrs............. Pray for me.
Bill

squidd

I wouldn't sell any of it...
The 37 will make a great sump/fuge and should fit under the 65 in the stand...
If you go with a "refugium" (I recomend it) than you'll need good lights for that as well a 2X 65 PC is perfect...You might have to "modify" the fixture, but we can work out the details when you get that far...:D
Check out the DIY and Equipment forum for "ideas"...

ortho bill

Went to the LFS and got a little overwhelmed as the salesperson was attempting to sell me a wet/dry filltration set-up w/ bioballs in addition to a 75 gallon set-up, mag 5 pump, more pc lighting in addition to my curent lighting - somehow sitting my 30" wide pc on top (centered).... . I thought a wet/dry system was not the way to go. I simply want a place to hide equipment, top-off, dose, more volume etc. The point he made about a 75 (or a 72 bow) vs. a 65 made me think though. 75 would be pushing it though, space wise, not to mention the fianances of maintaning a larger tank. Is it easy to set up one of these mega flow tanks with a simple sump? I'm having second thoughts now....I hate the used car salesman approach - it reallly turns people off.

squidd

It can be confusing...Just wait till you start picking out lights...:eek:
There are a lot of different ways to set up a successful tank and lots of different combos to chose from...
I haven't had much experience with "wet/drys" but that doesn't mean they are no good...
My take is this...the W/D is basically a sump (where you can hide your equip,heater,skimmer,etc) with "Bio Balls" in it...
The Bio Balls are there to provide "surface area" for bacteria to grow on...but you already have that with your Live Rock/Sand so it seems redundant to have more (plus the hassle of cleaning them)
So I still vote for the sump under the tank, and then adding a "refugium" for Macros and pod production...Get the "Best" Skimmer you can right off the bat (think Euro Reef) Lots of Live Rock and Sand in the tank, good "circulation/turnover" and you'll have a pretty decent setup for maintaining your tank.
Lot of that stuff can be built DIY and you'll save money over buying inadequate/inappropriate equipment...
You already have the makings for a decent sump/fuge and the lights for it...Now you just need to pick out the tank you want for "display", set it up and then purchase appropriate lighting for what you plan to keep in it.
Bigger is better...75 over the 65...Bowfronts are cool...IMO

obtusewit

I have had both Wet Dry and Sump systems and have had consistently better luck with the sump. Wet-dry units are great if you go fish only, and if you are going to keep those large bad boy carnivores without the benefit of a large pile of live rock, I think a wet-dry is a necessity. Since wet dry systems don't have anaerobics your nitrates will probably have to be removed via water changes and phosphates may build up to considerable levels. If you go with a wet dry, try to use one that incorporates a prefilter/protein skimmer area prior to the bio balls. Sea life makes some good ones.
If your aim is to keep a reef with live rock etc. , then the sump is the only way to go. You will go no real added benefit from the wet dry . The sump adds more capacity to the system, and if you load your sump with live rock, substrate, and macro algae, your main tank won't require a thick sand bed and the marcos can perform some phosphate/nitrate removal for you.
Just my humble opinion but consider this, I have a $600 Sealife Pre300 being used as a sump on my 46 BF, the bio balls are living in my garage in a big black trash bag waiting for the day when I decide to keep a FO tank again, target date the 12th of never, 2050.

ortho bill

I'm leaning towards the 72 gal. bow w/ a 20 gal sump. I will attempt to sell my 30" pc w/ moonlight, the 37 and base to offset the cost of a new tank, base and lighting and additional rock requirements. Any suggestions for selling this stuff? God they're only 6 weeks old. My wife is gonna kill me...............
You suggested putting LR in the sump? Wouldn't you want it for aquascaping? What do you suggest as far as a ratio for tank rock vs. sump rock? Am I right in thinking it's better to do this now? I only have a couple of percs. in there (10 days) in addition to a small clean-up crew.

obtusewit

Since I keep fish and heavy feeding corals in my 46, I keep a large amount of live rock in my sump. I also skim 4 hours after feeding for 4 hours to reduce the protein based bio load. I keep macro algae growing in the sump for nitrate and phosphate control and normally have pretty close to zero's across the board for NOx and Ph. Keeping LR in my sump also allows me to always have the 'ready to go' 'just right' chunk when I add something or rearrange somewhat. I guess I am just a LR junkie.
The best place to sell a used reef system is to a fellow member of a marine aquarist's club... you will take abeating on ---- or in the newspaper unless you just get lucky. Since your tank etc is new, maybe the LFS will take it in trade, depends on how much they really like you tho... good luck

ortho bill

Do you have an opinion as far as lighting? I like my current PC and would purchase another for the 72 Gal bow. I found it online for $199. It has a total of 260 watts (4 x 65).

obtusewit

That should work well, not sure if your 72BF came with the cap, but my 46BF did not, just the flat plastic 36" single. I bought the cap for it and the new T-5s installed perfectly. I am sure your PCs will do the same in the 72BF cap.
I prefer MH but 520/72 =7.2 watts/gal get the color right and they should suffice for most. I doubt acro's will thrive but then again, who knows
BTW for those looking for a 46BF...AGA aka Oceanic for 199 at wallyworld with enclosed stand and, da no good hood and single light demanding to be traded to the real LFS for a cap.

ortho bill

The LFS I was at had a plastic oceanic hood for $100. Very light weight but didn't look too bad. The MH you mentioned is most likely out of my range $$$$$$. I have to be somewhat sensible

[hr]
even though I'm thinking about selling my current set-up after a couple of months..........................Somebody tell me I'm doing the right thing. I'd ask my wife but she'd more than likely call me an as....er a rectum..........

obtusewit

If you are going to spend 199 buckeroos on a CP at 260 you can get a MH 250 on ---- for about 179 ( I think)... The cap is a definite 'must have' and yep they are seemingly flimsy, but not so much as you might think.
As far as wives go, I divorced mine in 1992, kept the 23 month old boy and he loves it when I buy a new gizmo for the aquarium...maybe you can trade the wife for that 250 MH...nah just kidding, its cheaper to keep her...

obtusewit

I love my lil ole 46 bow front, prob more than my 300, you're doing the right thing... if you don't spend the $$$ on a new tank, the wife will just buy shoes or (shudder) something sensible....

ortho bill

I'm impressed. Commendable. Raised a 2 yr. old by yourself. Very cool. We have a 2 1/2 yr old ourselves to go along w/ our 17 and 19 yr old girls. Was looking for that one person to say "go for it". I'll look for that MH today. Do you cover your tank or leave it open to air? Bill

squidd

:jumping: "GO FOR IT" :jumping:
:D( Oh Hell, Just ripout the back wall of the living room and put in the 210...and the "lagoon" in the basement, You KNOW You want it) :D

obtusewit

For all intents and purposes it is covered. I have the oceanic cap on it which is open in the back and installed 2-4" fans against the outside edge oof the opening. There is a cover on the cap but with a 36" x 6 inch opening in back, "covered" would be an asthetic description. The best of both worlds...covered but not covered, if you get my drift.
As a side note...where is my soapbox
A 2 1/2 yr old with a 17/19 pair....how cool is that! Age 2-5 is my favorite age, and you have 2 built-in babysitters...LOL
This is actually my second 'go round' in the single parent rodeo. I have a 26 year old who I took over when he was 14 right after my second divorce. So I had two wonderful boys with me for a short time. I run into a lot of people who "commend" my single parenting, but I haven't known very many that commend single Moms. It is more of an expectation for Mom, I guess. Parents should always step up to the plate, single, married or not. Sadly, I think it reflects on the roles that Father's play (don't play) in the lives of our children. The deck is so stacked against single parents. Moms have hell making a decent dollar most of the time, Dads seldom get custody, and when they do, the logistics of the system are stacked against them. Men work different hours than day care providers, taking off work to meet the teacher is a hassle, etc. Single Moms deserve way more credit than they get, single Dad's need employer understanding. And last but not least, Deadbeat parents whether Mom or Dad, need to be forced to step up to the plate when it comes to child support, medical bills, and even visitation. I know there are circumstance where visitation isn't in the best interest of the kids, but that is where counseling should come into play. If not for the deadbeat parent and the kid, then at least for the kid. and the deadbeat should have to pay for that too. Just my 2 cents...