Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everything

gatorzone19

Here is my algae turf scrubber! Its been running for 7 days. If you see any problems with setup please tell me. I remooved the light to take the pics.
The red on the biobale material is from the camera.

posiden

Originally Posted by Gatorzone19
http:///forum/post/2964693
Here is my algae turf scrubber! Its been running for 7 days. If you see any problems with setup please tell me. I remooved the light to take the pics.
The red on the biobale material is from the camera.

The only thing I would wonder about which can be solved with a hole is, the screen causing flow issues when it gets good growth.

sean48183

Also does the light go right on the acrylic lid. Could have salt creep problems which will hinder light also. Looks pretty good other than that.

santamonica

Sean, after you clean the screen several times, and the nitrate gets down to 5 or so, the HA will start going away.
Gator, you could make some one inch holes around the edges. They will not clog. Also, you should remove the foam pad under the screen. And after your screen is growing, consider slowly removing the bio material in the box. The algae will do your filtering.

santamonica

Update: Cross-cuts
Making cross-cuts in the slot is now recommended for all pipes. The biggest advantage of cross-cuts is that when algae grows up into the slot, a cross-cut will still allow water to flow out on top of the algae. Cross-cuts do require more flow, so if your pump/pipe combination is having trouble delivering the recommended 35 gph per inch of slot (53 lph/cm), then you might want to get more flow first. Start with one cross-cut every inch (2.5cm), and later try one every .5 inch (1.25cm):

santamonica

Here are some more designs to give you more ideas:
Freshwater: Delilah on the TA site:

Freshwater: Hop2jr on the FL site:

And the rest are saltwater:
Adee on the SARK site:

santamonica

Chudly on the MD site:

Cvermeulen on the MFK site:

Cyberseer on the algae scrubber site:

DangerDave on the MB site:

Darkblue on the RP site:

santamonica

DrPepperSmith on the algae scrubber site; This is one of the non-nano horizontal designs that looks like it will work. Note that it is lifted above the water:

Emperador on the spanish AR site:

Enatiello on the RS site:

santamonica

Gatorzone19 on the SWF site:

Gechav on the spanish AR site:

Glock339 on the UR site; This one is on the top of the display, and uses the display's MH:

santamonica

Ikarbary on the SARK site:

Jared on the RS site:

Jason on the spanish AR site:

Joeyp on the RP site:

Johntanjm on the SG site:

Jtremblay on the MD site:

Juliovideo on the spanish AR site:

santamonica

Khawyc on the MD site:

Lance126 on the RP site:

Leochngyh on the MD site: