MELAFIX

gobylover

My lfs just got in a new product called MELAFIX.Its used for the tretment of fungal infections,popeye,fin rot,and sores.Its all natural and reef safe.Its made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals,the same people who make Stress Coat.Anyone used it?

T

the new guy

Do a search for melafix and you will see what everyone has to say about it. I wouldnt use it if you bought it...

pufferlover

I agree with Tacks if you search you will see that I dislike that product very much so much so I got my lfs to stop selling it. It causes haevy breathing, a bad smell from the tank, and worse it does not work most of the time. Now a product that I have used with some success and is fairly new is biosphere beads from Mardell which claims to treat the fish not the water. These are the same people who make Maracyn products which many here live by. If you did not use it yet take it back trust tacks and me the odds are not that good with its use for some reason. I do not knock many products because I know some will say it worked for me but most I know say this stuff is not good so why gamble.

b_ball12_99

I used is succefully once. I read it is not as good the 2nd time. Get the other suggested products. Melafix is a SW and FW product. I believe it is better for FW though.

pufferlover

Well trey and others the package states the first spot on product that treats the fish not the water. Kills bacteria that cause mouth fungus, fin and tail rot, popeye, dropsy and ulcers. Safe for all fish and inverts. Info on it at www.mardel-labs.com mfg. site no sales there. Active ingrediants are Sulfadimidine and Trimethoprim (whatever that is bet trey knows tho). I used it one time and can't say it helped but that was on that darned Emperor Angel who did die, but it did not hurt any of the other fish in the tank as the melafix did when I tried it first. When you add it the tank becomes a bit cloudy for about 30 to 60 minutes then it clears right up (bottle states that is what happens). It comes in a 8 oz. and it cost just under 10 bucks at my lfs and about the same on net (except shipping would make it more that way). Thank goodness haven't needed to break open the reserve bottle in my supply vault (jack Benny would be proud of my supply vault- very full). Hope this helps you all make some decision whether you want to try it.

jcb

Back in late November 2000, I lost all my fish. My water parameters were fine so I really never found out what caused the wipe-out. Now that I've just read this message, something is definately coming to mind. The one medicinal product I was using to treat a fungal infection was MELAFIX! Now I think I know who the lethal culprit was.

pufferlover

That was my point. Everytime I see that product mentioned I try to tell people do not use it. I posted once about it that I have a friend who works for Aquarium Phar. who makes it and once he asked e if I had tired it and I told him how much I disliked it to which he responded that they had come out with it faster then they should have. He is up there in their company so I won't mention names or titles, but that convinced me that it should not be used and I have knocked it everytime I see a post on it. This is the only product I have ever knocked on the net, but why should people lose good fish because they were not warned it could be deadly.

pufferlover

We never really discussed that. What happened is that I was at my lfs one day when a fellow I knew from my beginning days and my freshwater tanks who worked at P-tsmart came over to say hello (he was calling on my lfs owner). Turned out he had gone to work at Aquarium Phar as a Regional (can't say what- don't want to cause him any problems) executive. In talking he asked me if I had ever tried Melafix which I had a few weeks before seeing him. I told him my sad tale and he told me what I repeated above. I didn't push it because he had been very kind to me when I was a novice and no one else would help me. He also told me something I found strange but did not pursue and that was that Melafix was not for everybody ( wonder if he meant due to dosage or something experienced people would get more use from it?). Anyway I just want members here to know it has caused problems for many (not all) and that should be considered before buying it. I think it has a draw since it is not very costly compared to other meds (that should tell one something tho).

jacques

I've used it in my freshwater and brackish tanks. Its taken care of various problems, especially in my cichlid tank. I would be a little hesitant to try it in my marine tank. HTH,

b_ball12_99

I figured it would work better in FW. Almost all thing do since FW is simple. I have a big bottled left over from my use so I know to use it on the FW tanks if I need to.

pufferlover

Good points last 2 posts. Since I no longer have any FW tanks I have no pro or con on its use there. I just know in SW it is more a danger then a help. Thanks for all the imput from all.

dgs174

I recently introduced a trigger I probably shouldn't have into my trigger tank, and it wounded by clown-trigger fairly badly. When I took the damned huma huma back, my lfs guy said i told you so and I felt really really dumb/stupid/annoyed at myself because I knew i was pushing the envelope and so did he. I told him about the harm done to my baby, and he recommended MELAFIX. Ahhh the drama builds.....so without checking any information on this site I went ahead and bought some, and treated my baby with his recommendation(of course after I treated the tank for the first time I thought to search in the disease and treatment section). Well I must admit after a weeks treatment to the severe gashes on the clown's sides and the shreaded top fin have practically healed up.
So while it may only be good for popeye, in my case, it was also quite good (despite its rancid smell, and tendency to foam up the tank) at helping my clown trigger get back to status quo.
Although with that said, after reading the past posts I don't think I would ever use it again because the thought of losing my fish........ehhh! 'Nuf said.
Dan

pufferlover

dgs174; Thanks for the post. I am glad you had luck with the product and altho you can see by my prior posts that I dislike it I applaud your thought to not push your luck again. Yours is about the 3rd post I have seen with a good report versus many of disasters. I have a feeling that part of the problem may be that unless you use it right on as far as dosage and your water quality it is just to potent and lord do I hate that smell phew.