Melting Finger???

HI,
I have this finger leather that I bought even though it didn't look so great. The LFS said some mombo jumbo and I bought it, GEESH... I have bought all my coral from this store b/c its the only specialty store near me.
Well, anyway, here is two pics of it./... wondering if I should just take it out.....
BTW.. everything else seems to be OK. (all corals in my profile) I have an emporer angel who picks at some coral, he is being re-homed this week. BUT what is going on wiht this coral is NOT from picking...Its melting sort of... the second pic will show what fell off of it and is now on the sandbed.
Thanks Kim

sweetreef

when it fell does it still have pieces of it left on the rock?If so the pieces left on the rock can grow a new one!!But what i would do with the one on the sand bed is just watch it for a few days..I know that kenya trees do that all the time shrink up for days and have parts of them fall off then the next day they are back to good as new..I think when they have pieces fall off thats the way they spread and make more...

nm reef

I can't explain "why" your finger leather is melting....I believe they sometimes just deterorite due to stress related issues. Shipping....changes in water quality...changes in lighting....all can contribute. I do know that I purchased one several years ago and it too simply melted away. I managed to salvage two small pieces. One of those is now in my reef and the other was traded away about a year ago.If you allow yours to just continue as it is and try to provide good lighting and a moderate current without any predators you may be able to save a small piece also...just let nature take its course and hope for the best. I know thats not real helpful...but in my situation it worked out fine. The origional piece I purchased was very large...after it melted away I had two maybe 2" sized frags. The pic below is the piece I have left....its about 10 times the size of the tiny piece I saved. In the past year alone this one has more than doubled in size.

nm reef

Here is a more recent pic...just took it and resized it to fit here. Very kewl corals but they can sometimes be difficult to re-locate...at least this one was. I feared I was going to loose the entire coral at one time.

I agree that trying to save what is left is worth a try but I think you should remove all pieces from your tank. Place them in a bowl of tank water. Examine the pieces and using a new,clean razor remove any pieces that are melting plus a little until you have a "rot free" piece or pieces. Take what is left and secure it to a piece(s) of rubble rock large enough to support the frag(s) and use bridal neeting to tie it to the rock(s). I would not use glue or stick it with a toothpick, wooden skewer etc as it has enough problems for now. Using the netting allows you to gently secure the frag with less chance of further damage. Because of its overall condition I would place it it med to strong flow to prevent anything from collecting and growing on the coral. After a day or so the cuts should close. Move the frag to an area with slightly less flow and give it a chance to open.
Be aggressive when cutting away the rotting parts to be sure you get it all. By no means it this a garanteed way of saving it but it has worked for me in the past.
Good Luck
SiF

Thanks guys for all your help... reaching for a razor blade and some netting.... and I will leave part of it the way it is and see which way works, I HAVE A FEW PIECES TO PICK FROM..LOL
Thanking you kindly, Kim