Mercury vapor

newtoit

I picked up a mercury vapor outdoor light at a yard sale for like 2 bux I was wondering will the ballast power a metal halide bulb??
if nothing more I got the right mogul base for a DIY halide set up

natclanwy

I am going to say No, from what I can find you can run a MV lamp on a MH ballast but not the other way around.

zarro

I would try it for that kind on money it cant heart its it a 400 watt 250 watt or 175 watt.

tropills

it will fire the bulb, but you won't have the correct light burn and may blow the bulb , also the ballast will work real hard to keep it fired. if it's a 175 watt MV ballast then that's a totally different story , then yes you can run a halide bulb with it,

newtoit

Originally Posted by tropills
http:///forum/post/2622899
it will fire the bulb, but you won't have the correct light burn and may blow the bulb , also the ballast will work real hard to keep it fired. if it's a 175 watt MV ballast then that's a totally different story , then yes you can run a halide bulb with it,
it is a 175 MV ballast

scsinet

I still stand by what I told you in the PM... not all MV ballasts will properly run halide lamps, even of the same wattage. If the ANSI code on the ballast does not list an M designation, then it's not designed to run a halide lamp.
That doesn't mean it won't light up; it may work anecdotally. However, IMO since the right ballast is like 40 bucks (or about half the cost of a decent halide lamp), it's worth it to not risk the lamp and use the correct ballast.

newtoit

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2623634
I still stand by what I told you in the PM... not all MV ballasts will properly run halide lamps, even of the same wattage. If the ANSI code on the ballast does not list an M designation, then it's not designed to run a halide lamp.
That doesn't mean it won't light up; it may work anecdotally. However, IMO since the right ballast is like 40 bucks (or about half the cost of a decent halide lamp), it's worth it to not risk the lamp and use the correct ballast.
well like reefkprz told me' Listen to him I did and actually gave the light to a buddy and got a 250watt aqua medic pendant