Metal Halid lighting Q's!

jerth6932

... I know that with everything that cost plays a role in quality... well most of the times, but what would I gain purchasing a more expensive dbl ended 150w MH bulb that I would not get over a cheaper end one? Would it be a longeviety issue, or more of a Kelvin issue? Is there a brand out there that is the top of the line that would give me any advantages? Also I am currently running 14000k bulb.... like the color, but which K is the best for corals health? THX ahead of time!

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by Jerth6932
http:///forum/post/2857576
... I know that with everything that cost plays a role in quality... well most of the times, but what would I gain purchasing a more expensive dbl ended 150w MH bulb that I would not get over a cheaper end one? Would it be a longeviety issue, or more of a Kelvin issue? Is there a brand out there that is the top of the line that would give me any advantages? Also I am currently running 14000k bulb.... like the color, but which K is the best for corals health? THX ahead of time!
double ended bulbs tend to be brighter and produce higher levels of PAR?

the lower then kelvin temp, the quicker the growth, but crappier the color... alot of fraggers grow the frags in the nasty light then move them to a tank with 14,000k or 20,000k lights to color them up.

jerth6932

Thanks for the timley response... but what is this PAR everyone throws out there? THX for the information, I guess if you want your tank to look the part, its not going to grow the part? Would it be bad for a MH set up, or your tank to cycle months with diffrent K's then? To have good looks with adeqate growth?

rotarymagic

http:///forum/post/2857592
Thanks for the timley response... but what is this PAR everyone throws out there? THX for the information, I guess if you want your tank to look the part, its not going to grow the part? Would it be bad for a MH set up, or your tank to cycle months with diffrent K's then? To have good looks with adeqate growth?
Well.. a 14,000k is a good blend of color and growth...
That's why alot of people combine bulbs... like a 10,000k and an actinic so they can get good growth and color at the same time.
PAR=photosynthetically active radiation.

jerth6932

Thanks for that porition of that question, but now about the more expesive bulbs vs the cheaper brands protion? Whats the diffrence? More of a true Kelvin thing or is it a longeviety thing? Also is there a "Best brand" out there?

rotarymagic

I'd stay away from e bay bargain no name brands...
I bought a $100 Giesemann megachrome coral bulb and I think its too white... I think the cheaper Phoenix 14,000k looks better.. has more blue. The giesemann would be great with some actinic supplements, but I only have an aqualight clamp on light for my 20long.. maybe a better ballast would crank more blue out of it.. I dunno..
the higher the color temperature, the lower the useful lifespan of the bulb generally...
The phoenix 14,000k is one of the most popular bulbs out there, good display of colors and not the most expensive either, but it is bluer than alot of other bulbs aside from the 20,000k stuff.

jerth6932

Thanks, I tried the ushio I liked the color, but I had a 14000k bulb and supplemented still with acttinics. I think I will pick up a phoenix bulb. What is a good price range with them? My LFS is easy to talk down in price if I go in prepaired with an argument of other retail prices.

rotarymagic

http:///forum/post/2857876
Thanks, I tried the USHIO
..... somthing like that... I liked the color, but I had a 14000k bulb and supplemented still with acttinics. I think I will pick up a phoenix bulb. What is a good price range with them? My LFS is easy to talk down in price if I go in prepaired with an argument of other retail prices.
$60 or cheaper.

cjcdaddy3

i have a 110gal tall tank with about 16 pieces of live rock in it and i am running a mh,2 10,000k 65watt corallife bulbs and 2 actinic 65watt bulbs is this over or under kill for this size tank i am planning some urchins and sea anemone and coral in the near future i have only had this tank for about 2-3 weeks my live rock is showing alot of color and i am also planning to add more live rock to it but want to make sure that my lighting is going to suport it all before spending the money

spiderwoman

You also have to do some research on what bulb gives you that good PAR depending on what your ballast is. There is a big difference between ballast/bulb combinations.
I'm currently testing AquaConnect 14k bulb on a M58 ballast which does not have a good result (my mistake). I will be using that bulb with an IceCap ballast that has better PAR with that combination. That bulb costs almost $140/each.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by cjcdaddy3
http:///forum/post/2875957
i have a 110gal tall tank with about 16 pieces of live rock in it and i am running a mh,2 10,000k 65watt corallife bulbs and 2 actinic 65watt bulbs is this over or under kill for this size tank i am planning some urchins and sea anemone and coral in the near future i have only had this tank for about 2-3 weeks my live rock is showing alot of color and i am also planning to add more live rock to it but want to make sure that my lighting is going to suport it all before spending the money
Which MH and how many watts? There are lots of variables.