metal halide:all around good light?

bn91280

question for the masses... are there any corals that will not do well under a metal halide/actinic setup?

wangotango

A lot of low-light demanding corals like mushrooms and some leathers usually don't. Depends on placement and wattage though.
-Justin

bn91280

I have a 24 gal aquapod, I have no mushrooms, but I have a leather. The aquapod is obviously pretty deep, if I just move the leather to the bottum, do you think it would be ok? Also, I have been considering starting a frag tank with a mother colony in the same tank, and I am mostly interested in acro's (obviously I would need MH's), but would like to have a mix. Would it be a bad idea to get a shallow tank if I also wanted zoos and ricordea in the tank?

natclanwy

Mushrooms are doing well in my tank also. 2 250w MH over a 55g with mushrooms placed near the bottom.

acrylic51

IMO good lighting setup......move your less light demanding corals down away from the light.....my mushrooms honetly don't seem to care where they are as far as lighting.....My Fiji Yellow Leather on the other hands loves the light.....he's my indicator

bn91280

So, what do you think about MH with actinic in a shallow (10-12") tank? Would I be able to put ricordea, and zoos in the bottom?

T

tizzo

As long as they are acclimated properly, then corals will not be hurt by to much light. The deal with shrooms and polyps under halides is that they do not NEED that much light, but it will not hurt them.
Even a sun coral. It doesn't need any light, but putting it in the light will not hurt it.
150 watt on a 12 inch deep tank is pretty much the definition of any good frag tank, so that much light will not hurt anything. Just some corals don't need all that...others do.

bn91280

So, what are everyone's feelings about acro's with T5's, instead of metal halides. I realize this is somewhat of a matter of opinion, but have some had good luck with this setup? Do the acro's generally keep their bright colors, or do they turn brown?

fats71

Originally Posted by bn91280
http:///forum/post/2561056
would i get the same growth, and nice coloration as i would with metal halides?
I was at a LFS a few days ago and saw the 8 bulb tek on a reef tank like a 4x4 hanging about 2 foot above it in a dark room and it was so nice it even had that shimmer look and the stufff in it was way way cool. so ya no real point other than dont get caught in the light thing like I have you will beat yourself to death. Find something you like in your price range and go with it. P.S. I don't think their is a need for MH anymore but im a noob :)

bn91280

would most agree with this? I don't want to say that money isnt an object, but I do want to get what will give the best growth rate, and best coloration, even if it means saving my money for a while longer lol. The tank I am looking at now, is a 125g, and i believe it is about standard, about 22in deep. If I were to go with T5's, would you say I would need 600 watts or a little better? And also, are there different k ratings on the T5's?

fats71

http:///forum/post/2561089
would most agree with this? I don't want to say that money isn't an object, but I do want to get what will give the best growth rate, and best coloration, even if it means saving my money for a while longer lol. The tank I am looking at now, is a 125g, and i believe it is about standard, about 22in deep. If I were to go with T5's, would you say I would need 600 watts or a little better? And also, are there different k ratings on the T5's?
Honestly I have corals under a stock perfecto light. pulsing Xenia torch zoos etc. They are growing and within a month I have fragged my torch three times.
I know of a guy who does frags in a Dixie cup with a reg bulb...
My friend Eli used the same washed out bulbs for three years on his tank because he did not have sockets and he was too lazy to cut the wire and do it right and his corals were bangin the color was not perfect in the tank but the corals were awsome. He and I used to live in Florida and he had it all setup down there until one of the hurricanes wiped us all out 7 years ago or so.
You can get corals to grow maybe not as fast maybe not as healthy with all sorts of lights is more better ? I have finally come to the conclusion that I am going to buy what I can afford. I would love to have the solaris but I'm not rich. I can afford 1k for lights like the solar flare which smoke any mh out right now according to several pro's I found out.
Just do what is right for you and your tank. as Steve says to me. lets write a book on "bn91280" tank and make it the way he wants it. I have come to the conclusion most people on here don;t have a tank like mine or yours but nano's and they are telling us what is best for our tanks. How can they know they don;t have the same issues we have nor us know about their issues. ( I have both nano and 2 x75's)
Anywho I'm babbling.
My main suggestion is to not go off what anyone says like I was trying to do cuz in the end it will make you wanna jump off a cliff....

travis89

would most agree with this? I don't want to say that money isnt an object, but I do want to get what will give the best growth rate, and best coloration, even if it means saving my money for a while longer lol. The tank I am looking at now, is a 125g, and i believe it is about standard, about 22in deep. If I were to go with T5's, would you say I would need 600 watts or a little better? And also, are there different k ratings on the T5's?
I would say you'll need 400W-500W depending on what you get. Yes T5 bulbs do come in different k ratings, you have to play with different mixtures to get what you like.

wangotango

Given the right setup, there is nothing that you should not be able to keep under T5. Most European reefs are pure T5, and are some of the nicest I've seen.
For your 125, I'd go with the Aquactinics Constellation which has fourteen 39w bulbs. It would allow you to keep anything you wanted. They make bulbs anywhere from 3000k to 22000k. They run cooler compared to halides and last a lot longer.
-Justin

bn91280

I am planning on stocking the tank with mostly acro's, would 400-500 still be enough to keep them growing, and keeping their bright colors?