metal halide:all around good light?

h3b

yeah t5's are just fine. Also the whole thing by telling a good light by the watts is outdated. it should be just fine

fats71

Originally Posted by WangoTango
http:///forum/post/2561154
Given the right setup, there is nothing that you should not be able to keep under T5. Most European reefs are pure T5, and are some of the nicest I've seen.
For your 125, I'd go with the Aquactinics Constellation which has fourteen 39w bulbs. It would allow you to keep anything you wanted. They make bulbs anywhere from 3000k to 22000k. They run cooler compared to halides and last a lot longer.
-Justin
If you have that kind of money to spend seriously consider solar flare oher than the utilitarian look it is probably one of the best lights on the market at this time beating out all MH and well just plain any light. The curvature on it will be better than the constellation etc. the const is sleekerr though and IMO a prettier light. Talk to scott one of the only people you will find who sells the solar flare and const he will tell you exactly what I am telling you and he uses the const light on his personal setup but for the extra couple bucks you get all icecap baby which who can argue overdriven to what is it 84 watt is going to smoke'em all !!!

bn91280

OK, I still have a lot to think about, but I appreciate all of the help. Without this site, I don't know where I would be, you all have been a lot of help

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by Fats71
http:///forum/post/2561126
Honestly I have corals under a stock perfecto light. pulsing Xenia torch zoos etc. They are growing and within a month I have fragged my torch three times.
I know of a guy who does frags in a Dixie cup with a reg bulb...
My friend Eli used the same washed out bulbs for three years on his tank because he did not have sockets and he was too lazy to cut the wire and do it right and his corals were bangin the color was not perfect in the tank but the corals were awsome. He and I used to live in Florida and he had it all setup down there until one of the hurricanes wiped us all out 7 years ago or so.
You can get corals to grow maybe not as fast maybe not as healthy with all sorts of lights is more better ? I have finally come to the conclusion that I am going to buy what I can afford. I would love to have the solaris but I'm not rich. I can afford 1k for lights like the solar flare which smoke any mh out right now according to several pro's I found out.
Just do what is right for you and your tank. as Steve says to me. lets write a book on "bn91280" tank and make it the way he wants it. I have come to the conclusion most people on here don;t have a tank like mine or yours but nano's and they are telling us what is best for our tanks. How can they know they don;t have the same issues we have nor us know about their issues. ( I have both nano and 2 x75's)
Anywho I'm babbling.
My main suggestion is to not go off what anyone says like I was trying to do cuz in the end it will make you wanna jump off a cliff....
So youre saying, light isnt s big of a deal as we think? Explain to me then why I recently lost about 300.00 worth of sps frags when my T5 Bulbs degraded without me realizing it? They were growing awesomely prior to the degration. Now they are under halides as I did a combining of two tanks after the loss, and they're thriving. Oh, BTW, I combined my 65 NANO with my 135 NANO. I think I'm one of the "most" people on here, and have attempted to help you with you lighting fiasco.....Most people dont have that hard of a time deciding on lighting.....

bn91280

lol doc, i was wondering how long it would take for someone to jump on that comment. What is your opinion on T5's versus MH for acro's or in general?

fats71

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
http:///forum/post/2561486
So youre saying, light isnt s big of a deal as we think? Explain to me then why I recently lost about 300.00 worth of sps frags when my T5 Bulbs degraded without me realizing it? They were growing awesomely prior to the degration. Now they are under halides as I did a combining of two tanks after the loss, and they're thriving. Oh, BTW, I combined my 65 NANO with my 135 NANO. I think I'm one of the "most" people on here, and have attempted to help you with you lighting fiasco.....Most people dont have that hard of a time deciding on lighting.....

Well, as you said most people do not have such a hard time because they simply point and shoot. I am not saying I am the end all be all but in the last two months I have devoured I think somewhere around 100 plus books was asked to write An article in a mag about some stuff I and a friend are making along with reading every forum thread calling every vendor writing e-mails etc. I have seriously put over 60 hours a week in lighting none stop for a month straight along with a few other things but mainly lighting. I have gone to peoples lfs's and seen what they run in their home aquarium. I have had LFS give me a four foot ray and a huge ramora shark donate to me two 10 gal tanks lights etc for them filters etc purchased mated pairs of fish given them to me to reproduce etc. I am new to this but not as dumb as one might think. I have had th he pleasure to hang out with some of the top Aquarius's in the world due to my lfs in st Louis knowing a lot of them and they come and visit this store and invite me and my friend Eli to hang out. I am truly blessed for this.
I can not tell you why some of your sps depleted without seeing it and researching it knowing water parameters as I'm not the look at it and know the answer instantly kind of guy. I research none stop all day everyday 7 days a week this is all I do right now. ( lost my activision contract till next year so I'm devouring myself in this)
I am not however saying some things to not need high lighting but everything can and will adapt to a certain degree.
I will say this again I know nothing the things I know are from researching and speaking to people here and to fenner and some other top notch people curt etc Damon is a lighting wizard you name a light he can tell you the ballast it has if it is overdriven where it comes from etc. I just do a lot of research and I know from my past few months you can beat yourself into the ground trying to get the best when the best for me may not be the best for you and visa versa. We all have different needs and different opinions of quality so that is why their are hundreds of different options in lighting so as to meet the demand of the people who want that type of look style color height design etc.
I should not say i do not know anything about lighting only what people have said I have had the opportunity to take apart several different lights touch hold and see how they work and why they do a certain thing the difference in reflectors ballast etc.
I have gone to the recent extent of re-reading everything I could find about Tesla just to learn more about some theory etc. I am also engrossed in the new plasma bulbs they have come out with etc some lights the size of your finger nail being the same kelvin as the sun.
I just gave my opinion take it or leave it but as I asked for some opinions I received short answers with nothing to substantiate them other than I saw these and they look good.
back to the main topic t5's will do anything you want them to do and as far as a Dixie cup you can not do it with just anything. I am saying their are certain things you can do and certain things you just can not. I can not keep brain under a light bulb for instance... Just take it for what it is worth or completely disregard it.

wangotango

Originally Posted by Fats71
http:///forum/post/2561320
If you have that kind of money to spend seriously consider solar flare oher than the utilitarian look it is probably one of the best lights on the market at this time beating out all MH and well just plain any light. The curvature on it will be better than the constellation etc. the const is sleekerr though and IMO a prettier light. Talk to scott one of the only people you will find who sells the solar flare and const he will tell you exactly what I am telling you and he uses the const light on his personal setup but for the extra couple bucks you get all icecap baby which who can argue overdriven to what is it 84 watt is going to smoke'em all !!!
Only problem is that solar flares come in 48" only, so what do you do on a 72" tank? A 125 isn't that deep, so there really isn't any need for overdriving the bulbs. With the spec ballasts and Aquactinics reflectors (which are pretty similar to Icecap's) the Constellation is fine.
Not saying the Constellation is better, all of Aquactinics' stuff kicks butt.
-Justin

bn91280

So, what if I were to get a tank only 16" deep, and I still wanted acro's. Would MH put off too much light? would i be better off with T5's?

fats71

http:///forum/post/2561997
Only problem is that solar flares come in 48" only, so what do you do on a 72" tank? A 125 isn't that deep, so there really isn't any need for overdriving the bulbs. With the spec ballasts and Aquactinics reflectors (which are pretty similar to Icecap's) the Constellation is fine.
Not saying the Constellation is better, all of Aquactinics' stuff kicks butt.
-Justin
Your right the const is a killer light. I would just bite the bullet spend the little extra for the solar if I was spending that kind of coin. in the case it does not fit well then you have to go down to the const.
Originally Posted by bn91280

http:///forum/post/2562005
So, what if I were to get a tank only 16" deep, and I still wanted acro's. Would MH put off too much light? would i be better off with T5's?
I honestly have not read anywhere in reef mags spoken to true pro's where they said the t'5s are the best way to go right now. You will have die hard MH people who will live and die by their own sword but a new day is coming and the MH is leaving.

wangotango

Originally Posted by bn91280
http:///forum/post/2562005
For a tank that deep, 175w halides would probably be fine, and individual reflectors on T5 wouldn't be that much of a big deal.
In a nutshell, there is no better lighting system. You cannot definately say that halides are better than T5 or T5 are better than halides, each has their strengths and flaws and setups that they would be better suited for.
-Justin

fats71

http:///forum/post/2562204
For a tank that deep, 175w halides would probably be fine, and individual reflectors on T5 wouldn't be that much of a big deal.
In a nutshell, there is no better lighting system. You cannot definately say that halides are better than T5 or T5 are better than halides, each has their strengths and flaws and setups that they would be better suited for.
-Justin
I agree with the point each has its strenghts and flaws. I do however say and will stand by the t5 is overall the better choice for many reasons the biggest being cost effective on the light bill and another huge deal is cost of replacment bulbs and then the ability to run egg crate under the t5 you can do but with MH you run the risk of a melted mess plus the fact you might end up needing a chiller on a shallow tank etc etc etc.

wattsupdoc

You see, all your experience is based on "research". Not experience. Believe me, I have read and read and read myself. The research says 2 years on the T5's bulb life. My experience is about a year. MH is by no means on its way out. No sir, the research might say so, but the reality is it ain't going no-where..PERIOD. I recently converted from T5 to MH and I'm very happy with the change. If I can get away with it without heat issues, I don't think I'll go back to T5's. I like the flicker effect without having the light 2 foot off the top of the tank shining in your face lighting the whole room up LOL.
BTW, tank depth has nothing to do with needing a chiller or not.
BTW, when I first joined here, there weren't many believers in the T5's. I got hammered mucho....LOL