Metal Halide bulbs

hikari

I have a 110 G Reef tank. I already have two 175 Watt ballats with 2 Ushio 175 w 10000 k bulbs running.
I got these bulbs from my uncle and the are getting old. I would like to have alittle different color spectrum and am going to change to some 14k bulbs. I know my Balasts can handle just about any Mogal based bulb but my question is....
What brands of bulbs wo I want to avoid? What about XM? or other brands?

saltn00b

most people say they dont like coralife bulbs and light systems... i think they are fair.
i would advise against getting non SW-hobby / industrial type generic MH bulbs that are usually used in other applications, as they never come with the correct spectrum, or they might shift to the wrong spectrum quickly

saltn00b

no i did not say that either. i do not know enough about the SW brands to advise you about them, but they have a wide range of price and quality. maybe someone else can help with that.

mandarin w

There is a site that has a post. You could go there and look up the different bulbs and ballast. It would show you how different bulbs work with different ballast. It also has information about the different PAR and specturms that different bulbs from different companies put out, so you could look at what the different bulbs, see if you like the look, and check out the PAR rating and see if that would work for what you have in your tank.
Unfortantly I could not post that site on here. If you want the info send me a PM. I will try to get you the info.

bang guy

Do a web search on "Sanjay Joshi"
He has done a lot of work comparing light output on ballast/bulb combinations.