Metal Halide? Glass between lights and water?

Is it safe to have 2 175 Watt metal halides 7 inches above the surface of the water without anything between them? I have a glass lid right now? The way the buld manufacturer makes out the bulbs could explode if they get debris or something on the outer glass of the bulb???

blondenaso1

I like going topless ;) I don't use a glass top and my hallide is about 5-6" above the water. Never had a prob, just some salt buildup on the bulb.

M

mr hanky

ill 2nd or 3rd or 4th the idea of topless. you might have to occasoinally have to wipe off the bulbs from a little salt splash,but its no big deal. unless you have a problem with a fish or something splashing with a direct shot of water on bulb when hot. ive had mine like that on multiple tanks for about 2 years. alot of my friends do the same thing. one friend had one explode but it was due to his stupidity!:D he even admitted it. go figure.hth

M

mr hanky

outer glass broke and fell in tank. just picked up peices for about 20 min. was kinda loud but not destructive really. not quite as loud as popping a paper bag.