Metal halide hqi replacement bulb question

anonome

Hello all, I would like to hear from people that have switched from 150w 10,000k hqi bulbs to something else. I ordered and received XM 150w 15,000k hqi replacement bulbs. I have been running 10,000k bulbs, pleased, but want something more natural looking. 10,000k bulbs just look too bright, too much white. What are the pro's and cons to going with a 15,000k bulb, what about a 14,000k? Is there much difference?
I am running mostly softies, LPS, with 2 crocea clams, 1 RBTA reef tank. Everything is growing great.
Any comments, or pics would be better. I don't want to install them if something is better. I am starting to doubt myself now. Thanks as always.

cedarreef

They say that 20k looks the best, but 10k has the most benefits so I think 15k would be a good balance of the two. I have 20k's n i think they look great...never really seen 10 but ive seen 14k n they are really nice...i wouldnt think 15 would be much different...good choice on switching tho

anonome

Thanks for the answer. I was also thinking that there can't be much difference between the 14k and the 15k.
Anybody else have other comments?

jsl

Originally Posted by Anonome
http:///forum/post/2765773
Thanks for the answer. I was also thinking that there can't be much difference between the 14k and the 15k.
Anybody else have other comments?
I used to use 10k bulbs until someone recommended me a Phoenix 14k bulb. The Phoenix bulb is just amazing. The colors "pop" out and the growth rate was there. After your 15k bulb, try a Phoenix bulb.

D

dennis210

Been running 10K for 3 years. When I set up a frag tank ordered MH with 14K. Colors do show up better so just ordered 14K replacements for main tank.
Dennis

maxalmon

I've tried just about every bulb on the market and find the Phoenix 14k bulb's offer the best mix of growth vs color.

anonome

Ok, I haven't opened the bulbs yet but was thinking.....(this always gets me in trouble!!)...Has anyone ever put a 20,000k bulb in the middle and a 15,000k bulb on either side? My lights hold 3 halides.
Would this look weird? Or would it off set each other since light travels about 1 foot on either side of the direct output area? I am still debating this issue, I can still return the bulbs at this point.

a sea k

I don't know how deep your tank is but I would be carefull about switching to 14/15K bulbs with your clams. The LPS, softies and GBTA will probably be fine but clams are pretty high light demand animals. I switched from AB 10K to the Pheonix 14K (150HQI) and found my tank was too dim for my taste. My 1-1/2 year old H. crispa that has never moved from the time I placed him in the tank promptly made his way to the top of the tank directly under the 14K bulb. I have since switched that bulb to a ReefFlux 12K and it is visually more appealling to me but the nem is still on top of the rock.

anonome

Interesting A sea K. My tank is 24" deep. My RBTA is way up top now, and like yours hasn't moved in 2 yrs. My clams are also up top. I will do some more research on this, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the insight.
Sometimes what ain't broke we shouldn't fix, just for our tastes. The tank has been doing fine with the 10,000k bulbs. Now, I am really confused.

anonome

I am doing the bump to see if anyone can answer my question on two different kinds of bulbs in the same tank.

mr_x

i have 2 different k lamps on my tank now. i have a 12k reeflux in the center, and 14k hamiltons on the outer reflectors. i tried 3 different bulbs at first to see which look i liked best.
to answer your question, if you like the end result, then it works.
btw- don't go with the 14k hamiltons.
here was a shot i took of my tank about a year ago, with 3 lamps on it.....

darren0311

I am Running (2) 250 watt MH 14000K, It has a blueish tint to it, and Def. more Natural looking! I started out with 10000K bulbs, they were wey too bright.

gatorwpb

I switched from 2x150w Aqualine ABs to 2x150w Phoenix 14ks and am really happy with them. I have mostly SPS and the colors are great. Still getting great growth, although probably a bit less than with the 10k ABs.

b0b82

Two 250 HQI Phoenix 14k bulbs.Two 96 pc daylight 10k/470nm and two 420nm/460 pc blues. Whih a bunch of moonson a 125.