Metal halide lighting?

ocpokesmot

Before i do anything i wanted to make sure....I have successfully been running my 135 glass aquarium for like 3 months. I am about the buy a SunPod 72" with 3X150 metal halide bulbs from my LFS for 450 bucks. The fixture is about a year old and he is going to put new bulbs in it but i was wondering if this will be sufficient to put hard and soft corals with all of the above in it? i think my tank is 24" deep...thank you for your concern

S

supermanvx

ya that would be real good...are there any supplemental lighting..or just the metal halides..do you kno what kelvin they are at?

fanker

thats a good deal and yes u can keep anything really, just if u put them down low and they dont like it than just put them higher

fanker

Originally Posted by supermanvx
ya that would be real good...are there any supplemental lighting..or just the metal halides..do you kno what kelvin they are at?
i think the sunpods are 14k but a nice bulb that u should tell him to get is the phinix bulb

S

supermanvx

yea thats good...personally i like to add supplemental lighting such as atinic, but you could change the outside bulbs to 20,000 and leave the center at 14,000. or whatever...depends but youll enjoy..good deal by the way

ocpokesmot

they are just the halides....oh i have a canopy that i would like to put back on but im really confused because i like the hanging mount but i was considering if i could mount inside the canopy installing some fans....what do you think

fanker

ya what i like about the 14k phenix is that they have a nice color like a 18k so no real need for suplement but it has great par

S

supermanvx

thats what i did...well kinda...i cut a nice rectangle hole in my canopy and set the fixture in...this gave a perfect 10 inches away from the water...looks great

fanker

Originally Posted by ocpokesmot
they are just the halides....oh i have a canopy that i would like to put back on but im really confused because i like the hanging mount but i was considering if i could mount inside the canopy installing some fans....what do you think

ya u definantly want fans for all that light, and depending on where u live u might want to invest in a chiller

ocpokesmot

dude i have everything....an aqualogic 1/3 chiller for 300 with control.....alls i need is lighting....do you think i should mount inside the canopy or ditch it for the hanging light affect or should i get the mounting legs?

S

supermanvx

well, actually...i would invest in a chiller even if i didnt have metal halides...for reef though that is...because sometimes during the summer months, it can get real hot and frustrating...unless you run your A/C all day

fanker

ya me to even though im in the woods in the summer it averages out at about 100, but im 16 and poor

S

supermanvx

Originally Posted by fanker
ya me to even though im in the woods in the summer it averages out at about 100, but im 16 and poor
always check out craigslist, pennysaver, egay, etc...you can get killer deals on used stuff, thats like new...trust me, i use to be on a budget as well.

S

supermanvx

oh and christmas is coming up..maybe santa will hook itup :cheer:

fanker

ya well im really poor i only work 11 hours a week and i have a dirt bike and a truck so i loose alot of money there

fanker

Originally Posted by supermanvx
oh and christmas is coming up..maybe santa will hook itup :cheer:
haha actually thats a good idea my parents usually get me a big gift and alot of others but i can just ask for a chiller

S

supermanvx

haha lets not jack this thread...haha sorry AIM me at onehundredvx