Metal Halide Purchase.. wise?

C

civileng68

Originally Posted by teen
i think the first one is fine, not too much imo, youll be able to keep anything you want without question. ive got 250 watts mh over a 30 gallon, so it should be fine imo over a 46 gallon.
Agreed. I have a 55g column and have a 250W MH. Honestly I get no real problems from the heat. I hang my light about 6" over the water and have plenty of room for heat to escape.
In the summer down here in South Florida it gets REALLY hot and causes the tank to heat up so here's what I do, and you can do to help your tank and your home keep a reasonable electric bill (remember not only does the MH heat the water it heats the entire room and you AC stays on to keep it cool).
Reverse the lighting to the powerful light (MH) at night.
Also, I went to target and bought a clip on fan that I ran over the water. What it does it blows the heat away from the water from under the light and helps keep a cooler tank.
Of course with the MH, evaporation increases and you'll be topping off quite often, even with a nice sized sump.

zanoshanox

just mount the fixture to something and there'll be no need to the cheap, plastic useless center brace anyways. But i wouldnt get the 20k w/ t5 fixture.....20l's have waek output and you dont get hardly any growth with them....and theyy're just throwing in the t5's to make the cplor look descent....basically, making the t5s the daylights and mh the actinic. Thats a very poor setup, go with the 1st one and cut the center brace.

zman1

Just bear in mind before cutting a center brace. This helps prevent bowing of the glass and seal separation. Manufacturers use them so they can use thinner glass. I am sure if you emailed support and ask any manufacturer what could happen if you cut the center brace you will hear more that just a voided warranty...

damselsrck

Thank you Zanoshanox! What you said makes a lot of sense. Also, civileng68, you gave some very good tips about what to do with all the heat. I don't think I will be cutting the center brace, especially becuase I have a "bow" tank.

Current 36" SunPod 2X150W 14K HQI ,18 Lunar Light ,Legs
This light caught my eye... any weaknesses that stand out at you experts?