Metal halide question (long question)

tanksalot

I know this question has been asked about a thousand times but I’m still lost on the lighting subject. I have a 90 gallon tank (48x24x18) I currently have 220 watts of power compact lighting. I want to upgrade to metal halide, everybody says there the best but my major concern is will metal halide lights be overkill for my mushrooms and other soft corals. I have one open brain and two other hard corals at this time, but would like to get more hard corals, but I still like a lot of the soft corals. And my pc’s seem to bleach out my mushrooms if they are to high in the tank, If I go metal halide can I still have soft corals in the system or are halides more for hard coral and clams.:confused:

jim672

tanksalot,
Welcome to the Board!
I have a 45 gallon tank which, like yours, is 24 inches deep. I used to have 90 watts of NO flourescents. I had a couple of mushrooms, a hammer, and an octo-bubble which were surviving under the NO lighting. I decided to upgrade my lighting because I wanted more corals. I upgraded to 175w 10K MH and 2 95W VHO. The mushrooms that were surviving under the NO's are growing and spliting like crazy under the new lighting! Although they are at the bottom of my tank, they seem to love the higher intensity lights. One rock where I had 2 or 3 little shooms now has 8 or 10!
When you do upgrade, just make sure you acclimate your tank to the new lighting very slowly. That will save your corals from bleaching and also prevent an algea bloom.
Jim

overanalyzer

tanksalot - kewl name - welcome to the board!!
Can't believe your corals are doing well under such little lighting. I woudl agree with Jim - though I don't have very deep tanks (5 gallon and a 20 gallon) ....

broomer5

In my opinon and experience ~
Intense Metal Halide are a MUST for SPS and most hard corals ~ Period.
VHO or PC actinic supplemental lighting can, and is often used along with the MH ... but not always required.
For a mixed tank of soft corals, leathers, shrooms and LPS ~ a mix of actinic and daylight VHO seems to produce better coral growth. The corals respond much better to the VHO than the MH only ( in my tank ).
If you're wanting to keep SPS stonies - get the MH for sure.
If you have no plans on keeping SPS, but instead want to keep a mixture of different types of corals - get a VHO package.
If you want the best of all - get a mixture of MH AND VHO - and run your lighting durations for your individual coral lighting needs.
Realize that a mixed coral tank is often more difficult to light - since you may end up with a mixture of high and low light demanding corals as you stock the tank over time.
I have a mixture of shrooms, leathers, polyps, zoo's, LPS and SPS.
I run the VHO for 10 hours, and the MH come on and off with their own timers.
This is just one of MANY ways to light a reef tank.
It can be tricky trying to keep these types of tanks lighted properly ~ but it can be done.
If not ~ 440 watts of VHO over a 48" long tank will allow you to keep quite a few nice corals - and is very common.

tanksalot

Thanks for the response jim627,overanalyzer, and broomer5. Broomer I’ve seen your setup and I must say it is awesome. Would 2 175w be sufficient or should I go with 2 250w. Also broomer mentioned that VHO seems to produce better coral growth than MH only. Would my PC’s be ok to run with the MH or should I scrap the PC’s and go with VHO and MH. If i choose to not go with MH could i just add VHO with my current pc's and be ok?
Thanks in advance.

broomer5

Tanksalot
I should make myself clear.
I feel the soft corals, shrooms, polyps and LPS corals appear to do better under my VHO lighting than with just the MH's alone.
Not all corals ;)
I would go with at least two 250 watt MH for your 90 gallon 48" long tank, with two 110 watt VHO actinics. This is pretty common set up.
If going all VHO - then go with four 110 watt ( actinic and daylight to suit your tastes )
One big thing to consider is this.
What corals do you want to keep today, in a few months and possibly in a few years. Knowing this makes the lighting question a lot easier to answer for yourself.
No matter what you think you want today ~ you'll want something else later ( lighting/coral motto ) :)

tanksalot

One more quick question, DvSKiN, why will I like the VHO better? I have seen on this board before people who have switched from PC to VHO and say they like the VHO a lot more than they like there PC fixtures. Is there a reason why? My lfs sold me my pc fixture and told me this is the best you can do without going to MH, did they rip me off? (im starting to wonder)

jim672

I don't think it could be considered a rip-off.....people's personal opinions differ. PC lights are fine....and better than NO's. I prefer the "look" of VHO's to PC's. The PC's to me, appear to be too yellow for my taste but that doens't mean that lots and lots of other people would prefer the PC's.
Jim

tanksalot

That makes sense, my pc's do give off a yellow tint. I wish I would have found this site when i first setup the tank. MH Producing too much heat is a concern of mine.

jim672

I agree that the heat from MH bulbs is something to consider but my hood has two fans (one on each end) that draw air through the hood, moving the heated air well outside of the tank top.
Interestingly, my water temp before the MH (and fans) come on is 80, but it drops to 79 when the KH and fans are on.
With adequate ventilation, the heat shouldn't prevent you from having MH's.
Jim

jim672

DvSkin,
I agree all light will produce heat. I expect you'd agree that, relatively speaking, MH produces more heat than similar wattage of NO, PC, or VHO.
Tanksalot was concerned about MH producing "too much" heat. I was just trying to explain that it doesn't have to be an issue.
Jim

tanksalot

From what ive seen most people keep there lights about 7 to 8 inches of the water to help keep them cool. (along with fans) is there a such thing as too high off the tank? say 12 inches or more.

jim672

Good question, Tanksalot. The amount of light reaching your corals varies depending upon the distance the light is away from the coral.......how far the fixture is above the tank and at what depth in your tank the coral is placed. People will tell you if you have a coral that's not responding well, move it toward or away from the light.
Light from the blue end of the spectrum travels deeper in water than the yellow, other end. Higher Kelvin(K) rating on bulbs indicates more blue spectrum. On a MH bulb, a 5500K bulb is at the yellow end while one rated 12000K or 20000K would be very blue-ish. In flourescents, there are Daylight bulbs. actinic bulbs(blue spectrum) and 50/50 or half white and half blue.
I don't have a whole lot of live rock in my tank so I can't raise my coral all the way to the surface of the water. I have my light fixture about 6 inches above the tank. The bulbs I use are a 175W 10000K MH , an actinic VHO bulb and a 50/50 VHO. I have a t. maxima clam, which requires very high intensity lighting, on my sand-bed who is very happy and growing under those lights. I also have some mushrooms that are mutipling like crazy.....and they're low light corals.
If you don't know what you want yet, look around at other tanks and see what you like before you invest alot of money in lighting that you're not going to be satisfied with.
Check out the Photography section of this board for lots of pictures of other tanks. If you see one you like, ask the poster about his/her lighting........
Jim

jscarb2

i have a 90 with 2 175 watt 10,000k mh 4 48" atinic my mushrooms do fine! i do keep them towards the bottom

tanksalot

Thanks for the info and advice I will probally have some more question in the near future on ballasts, but for now you guys got me going in the right direction.
Much appreciated!!!!
:)

broomer5

One last note.
Here's some hairy mushrooms and star polyps that I keep in my 75 gallon tank.
I have 500 watts of metal halide.
I have 440 watts of VHO
940 watts total.
But ........ I do not light the entire tank with all the lights on at the same time .. for the full lighting duration.
The lamps go on/off at different times during the day - set with timers.
But for at least 4 hours per day - all the lights are on.
My point - if you're going to upgrade your lighting - you can "have" the potential for high lighting down the road - but limit the length of time the individual bulbs are actually on ~ to suit your corals needs.