Metal Halide

lucentclownfish

Do I need to have a special socket installed at home to run this power supply?
As well what position would you prefer to set up such a light.
It has'nt been mounted in a shade yet. I was wondering if you had any Ideas for this preticular type of lighting.

Yes, metal halide requires a specific socket for the bulb. Most run off of a MOGUL socket. It also requires a ballast. Positioning is up to you, but preferably, 8 inches above water level.

mr . salty

No special power supply is needed,but placement/mounting can be tricky.These bulbs produce ALOT of heat.So they need to be mounted at least 4-6 inches above the water.This means either in a canopy style hood,or in a pendant fixture...

Do you recomend 4 inches above water level? I really hate cleaning salt off of these rather expensive bulbs. Not to mentinon the splash factor. Most posts that I have looked into, recomend 8 inches if you have good surface agitation to the water surface. I positioned my MH at 4 inches, and I had to raise my lid and prop it up to keep from blowing the bulb due to water splash.
The question was not in the power supply, it was a socket. I just can't get that MH to fit into my table lamp socket, no matter how hard I try.

broomer5

I believe LucentClownfish is asking if one should have a "special" wall plug outlet installed for the metal halide ballast to plug into in the home. Depends entirely on the ballast, the voltage and Hz required and how much current it will draw - as to whether the wall ( house wiring ) can handle it.
Most ballasts here in the states run off of 110, 115 or 120 VAC 60 Hz.
You should check the current rating on the ballast ( amps drawn ) and compare this value to the circuit you plan to run the ballast on in your home. Circuit breaker / fuse box will most likely tell you what the house wiring circuit can safely handle.
Or may be referring to the actual ceramic screw in socket the lamp mounts into, as mentioned.
Not sure ?
Shade possibly referring to a pendant fixture hanging over the tank ( as in lamp shade ? )
I've seen everything from 3-4 inches to 10-12 inches reported as being common for lamp to water surface distance, depending on the installation, wattage and what's being kept in the tank.

dirtybilge

A single 1,000 watt Metal Halide draws 9.2 amps most walls sokets are rated up to 15 amps I don't think you'll have more than 1,500 watts there for just plug it in and enjoy.
ED

lucentclownfish

Originally posted by Dirtybilge
A single 1,000 watt Metal Halide draws 9.2 amps most walls sokets are rated up to 15 amps I don't think you'll have more than 1,500 watts there for just plug it in and enjoy.
ED

:cool: Well all, all of your comments are much appreciated, but I think I managed to figure it out!
I Constructed a Lighting enclosure out of a piece of sheet metal approx.. 3feet by 2feet ..If I did it again i would suggest a piece about sixfeet by four feet, that way when you make the Diagrams you can manipulate any dimensions that may come to mind.
I agree that the distances may vary but the distance I would use would probably be about Twelve inches from the water. This way you have a wide lighted area. I think that there is a lot that you can do with a piece of sheet metal so let your intentions wander.
Spend some time designing it and you will enjoy it much more.
Mine looks like a barn sitting on top of my tank. As for the power supply....I think that the information provided below by Dirtyblige is the most thought out and accurate.
Thanks for all the comments.. LucentClownfish