Metal halides built into pc? + pics

dreamreef

:happyfish
I am trying to find someone who has seen these. They have them on ---- for $499 to $799, depending on length and specific bulbs, and I think one would be perfect for my 72 bowfront. My tank has a black abs plastic canopy, that conceals the lighting, that is made for the tank, but don't want it to melt. Currently I have a coralife pc with 260 watts. The new one comes with 2x 175watt metal halides
4x 65watt actinics
6 blue moon lights
All built into one fixture. They look really slick, and the external ballast should keep heat down, I think???
It is also avail with upgraded 250 watt mh or 400 watt mh and the same actinics and moons. I am trying to change from Fish only to a reef tank. - 72 gallons, how much light is perfect, and can you get too much?

jobob

well thats a nice light set up. but its exspensive, ive seen them on ---- with vho instead of pc for about $400. ans i would upgrade to the 250w. its worth the extra money. i have 175w on my 55gal, and i think the 72gal is a little deeper. as for to much light, i think 400 might be a little to much for some corals (leather,mushrooms,zoos) and there will be aloit more heat, so i would go for the 250w.

dreamreef

Thanks for the input. I know lighting gets expensive, and I would rather only have to upgrade once. Sounds like I'll stick with shopping for 250 watt halides. Hopefully this set up doesn't create too much heat for the canopy!

reefiness

theres a plce online where you can get a 400 watt metal halide retofit kit for only 124. the only problem with the kit though is that the ballast and socket need to be assembled and it doesnt come with a reflector.
the kit comes with a 5500k 400watt light, unasembled ballast, unasembled socket and mounting pieces
i think thats a sweet deal

jobob

reefiness the only problem with that is u need a heat sink for the ballast or u will burn whatever its on. and it has to be something metal or a metal box. wood will burn. they get hot. if u look on *Illegal Site Reference* u can get one for about $120 with shipping for a 400w. with a heat sink. and reflector.

agoutihead

hey dreamreef... can you email me or pm the website you found those compact halides at
my email is *Email Removed*
thanks!!

littlebuck

the light i just got for my new 72 gallon bow. I got a ice cap who 4 bulb 440 watts and also 2x250 watt mh retro fit kit. The whole set up was 550.00 let me know if you want to know where i got it. *Email Removed*

harndog

I have one for my 75 gal with the 2 de 150 mh and 4 65 w atinics. also has 8 leds for moonlights with adjustable lighting on the leds. I got them on the great auction site from the guy out of Sac. CA they are very nice. I also have the same 175 bf you have with the plastic top the light with the 150 mh does not get no where near hot enough to cause the top to melt. However you may have a problem with the fans on each end. I am pretty sure they will not fit inside your top. The only lights I know that will for sure as they do not protrude out past the 72 inches whould be the coralife and there fans are on top of the fixture so they could still push the heat out which would be a problem for these lights and the orbit fixtures unless you cut holes in your top on each end. There is a website that sales the 72 inch Coralife lights but even though this site does not sale them they do not what us to tell you. just do a search on coralife metal halide pc's and it should bring it up.

harndog

just noticed your tank is 72 gal not the 175 but I am sure the tops are the same and the problems will be the same.

dreamreef

Wow, someone might think we're trying to share super secret information here. I'm sure most of us know which site to go to to bid on items, and honestly i was just trying to get info from whoever knows the answer to my question, which is what i thought message boards were for :notsure: so thanks to you who replired, and i guess i wont be emailing anyone soon...lol

bailey52

Yea whats with the removing EMAIL? Since when does the site do that... Thats just BS... Removing someones email address... see.. its the Bush regime... now they are controlling who YOU ARE ALLOWED TO EMAIL

dreamreef

Originally Posted by sundance1
I have one similar to it.Mine is 72" with 3x250watt MH and 4x96watt PC and moonlights.Mine was $799.

How do you like it??? Anything you would change. What is the best light combination 10k 13k 20k, etc???

ripfish

this site is a bunch of Nazis when it comes to putting other sites on here for lighting, maybe they should think of selling lights? or letting people put sites up for lights so you could buy more coral and fish, but hey that would take a genius to think of that. :notsure:

sundance1

I LOVE my lighting system.If you need more info on it just e-mail me at crookedantler@earthlink.net and I can send you better pics of it.It does put off a good bit of heat,but the 2 3" fans push it out.it actually makes a 3 degree temp difference in my living room when it is on!My electric bill went up a little over $10 a month.If I had it to do over,I would buy the same light.