Metal Halides= Mogul or DE! whats better

grubsnaek

say i was looking to upgrade my lighting to halides, whats better a mogul socket or a DE bulb?????

nigerbang

I had DE's but wasnt impressed with the reflectors.. Switched to SE's and overdriving them and getting a hell of alot more PAR out of them..

novahobbies

OK, I'm the third person to notice this, so maybe we should find out. WHat they heck is Overdriving? How is it done? What are the drawbacks?
...and to keep this thread on track, is it more cost effective than MH?

nigerbang

Its pushing them harder than they should be... Going to get more out of them..
There is a trade off though... Shortens the life of a bulb drastically

reefraff

If you need to mount the lamps close to the water the DE's are ran using a UV sheild which protects the lamps from being splashed. Other than that there is no real advantage any more. For a while the reflectors gave them an advantage over SE lamps but over the last few years the SE reflectors have gotten so much better they are about equal now.

nigerbang

My SE are about 3" off the water.. Although I dont have alot of salt spray.. I have to clean the bulbs and refelctors once a month or so..

acrylic51

IMO alot comes down to bulb, ballast choice......as to what's best for your needs and wants......As far as why DE have the UV shield is just for that reason....SE bulbs have UV shielding built into the bulbs where the DE bulbs do not.....has nothing really to do with protecting them from splashing

grubsnaek

on my 125DT mixed reef. im running 4x160w VHO bulbs as actinics and 3x175w 10k halides. the reason i asked this question. my tank is going to be broken down in a couple months to remodel the ******** of the house. when the tank is in shambles then thats a good time to upgrade.
with it being a mixed reef. i really dont have to upgrade my lights. but thinking possible switching to 3x250w halides. why? dont know. i just know the lights are better. i mean the light set up i have now is more than enough to keep what i have and what i want. with the tank being 24" tall. maybe the upgrade would be worth it. but this is where my question came in. cause if im browsing now at ideas, i was wondering if any difference between the mogul and DE....also not comfortable at all tryin to even attempt over driving the bulbs.... again not sure if i want a clam or anemone in this tank. i mite even be able to keep them with my current lighting system.....thats 1165 watts of light over a 125DT, plus my halide bulbs are XM 10k which give off good par....

scsinet

You should be able to keep absolutely anything you want with the lighting system you have.
Upgrading will only amount to wasted power. If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, why not upgrade something else? A Koralia wavemaker system... upgrade skimmer... etc.
I fail to understand the point and purpose to overdriving either. The light output from a halide lamp has to do with the amount of power going in. Exceeding the design wattage doesn't get you something for nothing... if you run 250w through a 175w lamp, you are getting the same output as if you used 250w lamps... so I am not understanding what overdriving gets you... ??? Maybe I'm wrong?

grubsnaek

funny you say upgrade something else.....i did upgrade my skimmer from a ETSS reef devil to a MSX200. not installed yet. but i also upgraded my koralias too. and im going to be doing some new plumbing work. i was just wondering about the lights. i was pritty sure i could keep what i wanted now, but i guess its just good hobby knowledge knowing the difference. and on the overdriving subject. i would be nervous about over heating and fire. well mainly fire....

novahobbies

take the money and start building a new tank! Or, better yet..... PM me and I'll send you my address for a "donation."

Seriously, I think your lighting is fine now. Don't think you rally need to go much better'n what you have, so if it's burning that much of a hole in your pocket.....set up a new system!

grubsnaek

im prolly gunna stick with my current light system. i was generally asking. i will do some upgrades to my 20long nano instead...

it's chuck

Originally Posted by NigerBang
http:///forum/post/2942898
Its pushing them harder than they should be... Going to get more out of them..
There is a trade off though... Shortens the life of a bulb drastically
Yes overdriving is running more watts to a bulb then it is rated for, but in addition to shortening the life of the bulb you run a risk of the bulb exploding and/or burning up your ballast