Metal Halides

slosurfer

I currently have a 175 watt 10,000k metal halide set up on my tank, but the bulb is getting old and I'm going to get a new one. Do I have to stick with the 10,000k or can I switch it up and get the 20,000 and still use my current ballast?

robchuck

It shouldn't be a problem changing bulb colors, just make sure that you pick a bulb that matches the type of ballast you have (probe, pulse, etc.).

T

thomas712

As long as its still a 175 watt bulb you should be ok, however I've seen the 20000k bulbs and personally don't like the color of them.

robchuck

And to add to what Thomas said about the 20,000K bulbs, they look really dim at 175W. XM has a new 15,000K bulb out on the market worth looking in to.

schneidts

I agree. I didn't know xm made a 15k. I was going to suggest 14ks. They're alot easier on the eyes than the 20ks. EVC makes a 14k that's very inexpensive.

robchuck

Originally Posted by schneidts
I agree. I didn't know xm made a 15k. I was going to suggest 14ks. They're alot easier on the eyes than the 20ks. EVC makes a 14k that's very inexpensive.
I guess they're new to the market. I received an email a few weeks ago from one of XM's primary dealers describing the bulb in depth and it sounded really interesting. I'm a big fan of most of the 14 & 15,000K bulbs on the market; they have a nice compromise of color vs. brightness.

slosurfer

I got my 175 watt 13000°K Aqualine bulb today in the mail and set it up, but I'm having some problems. I made sure not to touch the bulb itself and was very careful when screwing it in. The bulb, however, will start up but when it reaches its full brightness it shuts off. I've tried turning my ballast on and off and waiting a while before trying with the light again, but am not having any luck. Does anyone know what the problem is?

sammiefish

try plugging the ballast in an outlet on a different circuit... you may have a current issue shutting down the ballast... if that doesnt work...hmmm... the symptom you describe does mimic that of a bad bulb... but also other things. What type of ballast are you using? electronic, magnetic...???

robchuck

It could be a bulb/ballast incompatibility issue, but is more likely a bulb positioning problem. Try rotating the bulb until the

[hr]
inside the bulb is between the 10 and 2 position.
Though the problem may also be the result of just running a new bulb. When I installed 3 new bulbs a couple of months ago, one of the three would do something similar. After a few days of burn-in, it now starts constistently.
Try some of these tricks and give it about 3-5 days. If the bulb is still acting up, contact the vendor you got the bulb from, because it is then most likely a bad bulb.

slosurfer

you know i'm not exactly sure which ballast i have because i bought my setup used, but its probably whatever is the older of the two and its heavy if that helps. my new bulb looks quite similar to the old one i was using with a couple slight differentiations. i tried positioning the

[hr]
between 10 and 2 but the way the bulb is threaded it always ends up at about a 7 o'clock position and when i'd loosen it a little so it was up at 2 it was too loose and wouldn't start up. Rob, with your faulty bulb, after it would shut off would it come back on? i just turned my ballast off after i didn't have any luck because i didn't want to mess anything up.

jobob

after the bulb shuts off do u shut the ballast off to? just let it go for about 15 mins and see if it comes back on. once the power is cut the bulb has to cool off before it starts up again. i didnt do any of that, i touch my bulb with my hands. i think thats only for DE halides. but if that doesnt work i would write to them. and ask for a replacement.

slosurfer

Jobob thanks for the help, I tried just leaving my ballast on tonight but haven't a real chance to leave it on for too long because its on a timer and went off, but I'll try leaving it on while I'm at school tomorrow. I feel like such a struggler when it comes to anything about my lighting setup because i dont know what brand anything is since i bought it used and nothing has a brand name on it. I'd like to check out that article about the Coralife Sun-System if you still have it. Thanks again for the help everyone, I've had this lighting for almost a year and it seems like i should know a little more about it but all of your comments are helping

robchuck

Originally Posted by slosurfer
good news, its working now. i just left it on for a few hours and things seem to be going well. thanks
That just seems to be the nature of metal halide. Glad to hear the bulb's working!

jobob

thats good its working, i had to wait about 2 weeks for a replacement bulb once. my tank was only half lite the whole time. lol. i guess is not one of those coral life system. :cheer: