Metal Hallide Lights???

rberhow

I am helping a friend pick out some metal hallide's for her new tank but since I've only used PC's, I am way confused. :) What she was looking at for her 29 gallon is a 175w HQI pendants but it doesn't say what K light this is or aren't they measured in K's? See, I am totally confused. Also, will she also need to run actinics with this? Or will this light be sufficient for a hawt reef. Any and all help will be much appreciated.

oceana

Originally Posted by rberhow
I am helping a friend pick out some metal hallide's for her new tank but since I've only used PC's, I am way confused. :) What she was looking at for her 29 gallon is a 175w HQI pendants but it doesn't say what K light this is or aren't they measured in K's? See, I am totally confused. Also, will she also need to run actinics with this? Or will this light be sufficient for a hawt reef. Any and all help will be much appreciated.

the k rating or (color) of the bulbe does mater.
the higher the number the bluer the bulb
6500K killer growth. heavy algea, very ugly yellow color.
10000k not as yellow great growth. should be used with actinic.
14/15k nice blue.white color and a ggreat cross between color and growth.
20000K less growth but killer color

reefnut

Actinics are not "needed" at all but you do need to find out the kelvin rating of the bulb. Anything below 5500k is unacceptable in a reef.

kingspade

hers my 10k's with 4 96 watt actinics, water is still a little cloudy cuz i just set this tank up wednesday

rberhow

Thank you both so much. So I have another question, is there a difference between coralvue or reeflux lamps? She is looking at another that is a 250w and it gives the choice between the two and you can choose your k. They give the choice of 10k, 12k, 14k, or 20k. What would you suggest? And is there anything else she will have to add as far as lights if she gets these then?

rberhow

Originally Posted by KingSpade
hers my 10k's with 4 96 watt actinics, water is still a little cloudy cuz i just set this tank up wednesday
Very nice King!!! And how exciting. Good luck

reefnut

The 175w would be all that's needed. The kelvin rating depends on how she wants the tank to look. As explained above, the higher the kelvin the bluer the look. Something around a 14k would be nice IMO.

rberhow

Thank you so much Reef. I appreciate it so much as I don't want to lead her astray. Thanks again.

busymom

Sorry to jump into your thread here, but I have the same question. So if she gets the 175 pendants is that all the lighting she needs? and can she put pretty much anything in there?

reefnut

Originally Posted by busymom
Sorry to jump into your thread here, but I have the same question. So if she gets the 175 pendants is that all the lighting she needs? and can she put pretty much anything in there?
Yes, & yes. The only problem with keeping delicate corals like sps corals in small tanks with MHs is evaporation. The salinity swings are hard on them but if you can get by that you can keep about anything given proper placement.