methelyne blue questions

pogi pants

What are some downsides to using this in your dt instead of a qt? Just because it's going to be really hard catching everything to put in a qt.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Pogi Pants
What are some downsides to using this in your dt instead of a qt? Just because it's going to be really hard catching everything to put in a qt.
Methelyne must NEVER be used in any tank. It will completely destroy your biological filtration. It is to be used in a bucket ONLY. This is a very effective product, but can ruin a tank quickly. This product has it's place.

wattsupdoc

It will turn EVERTHING blue, including the silicone, the rock the sand. Why are you needing to use the methyline blue?

J

jrthomas40

methyline blue is a biological stain used in the staining of electrophoresis gels when running DNA for genetics...other than that i dont know it is a stain that last a long long time

pogi pants

ok, good to know. so i should just put some of my dt water into a bucket along with the right quantity of methelyne blue and from there, how long do i let the fish stay in there?

pogi pants

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
It will turn EVERTHING blue, including the silicone, the rock the sand. Why are you needing to use the methyline blue?
I'm using it because a couple of my fish have broken out with ich.

sepulatian

ok, good to know. so i should just put some of my dt water into a bucket along with the right quantity of methelyne blue and from there, how long do i let the fish stay in there?
I have kept fish in the bath or over four hours. If you are keeping them in there for awhile, monitor the temp and be sure to add a small powerhead. They can stay in for awhile, be sure that they are comfortable though.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
methyline blue is a biological stain used in the staining of electrophoresis gels when running DNA for genetics...other than that i dont know it is a stain that last a long long time
Meth is also use for soothing fish's gills, calming them down, and helping parasites detatch as an alterative to FW dips.

sepulatian

should i do this with every new fish i introduce into my dt? is it something i can do while i acclimate them?
It is, but it will NOT guarantee that no parasites will be on the fish. Meth is not a substitute for a qt by any means. It does not knock off all parasites. It will simply reduce the number so that the fish may live while you set up for hypo. Please don't confuse the bath with a "cure".

pogi pants

ok, i picked some up today. it just says methethlyne blue. but it also mentions fungus and fish eggs. is this the only type or is there other types and did i get the wrong one?