Mexican Turbo Snails

serpentar

I am interested in getting a mexican turbo snail as part of my cleanup crew, but i heard that they eat corals. Is this true? I have mushrooms, buttons & polyps + corline algae, will he eat all this? thanks

aztec reef

Originally Posted by serpentar
I am interested in getting a mexican turbo snail as part of my cleanup crew, but i heard that they eat corals. Is this true? I have mushrooms, buttons & polyps + corline algae, will he eat all this? thanks
Whoever told you that, Must be on Crack..

happyhourh

The worst thing they will do to a coral is knock it over.
Be sure to acclimate them slowly, and I have found that they do better in tanks ran with a lower temp.

gmidd

Mexican Turbo's get pretty big opposed to the regular Turbo's. They could mess with the rocks if they aren't set good, which could mess with your corals. This site recommends 0ne per Five gallons but I think it should be one per ten gallons since I have regular turbo's one per five gallons and several starved to death.

mamasky712

Yep, I agree with everyone else. The only harm they'll do to your corals is knock them over. We have 2 in our 90g right now and they eat like crazy! One of them cleared a while piece of tonga branch of all of it's green hair algae in about 30 minutes. They're also the only things that are strong enough to clean the pump for my skimmer.

miaheatlvr

I have one, great snail, HUGE like 3inches long. Doesnt graze all day, takes breaks, Hasnt moved or knocked anything over YET! but i can definately see that might happen.

adroitmind

I highly recomend them. I have 5 in my 75g and have no need for any other type of snail. They do get big though a couple are the size of golf balls. Someone stated they do better in colder temps, but i keep mine in 80-81 degree water. I have found them to be very tought too, i just bombed them in with no acclimation and they have been fine for over 4 months.

aztec reef

If you are concerned about them Knocking things over, Just avoid getting the Big ones if you have a small Tank, and you should be fine.

05xrunner

They are pretty good at hair algae. I have 4 in my 75 they are kinda big. They ate a hair algae patch that was like 4x3" in like 1 day.
The only problem they do cause is the big ones knock some stuff over sometimes. They are good

azaghalsei

I have heard a lot that they can be TOO good; definitely be careful to not overstock them as you might find yourself buying algae to feed them!

Ian

adroitmind

I wish mine would eat hair algae. They destroy every other type but not my one big patch of hair (hehe that sounds kinda dirty). Oh well it's a good excuse to get that Fox Face i've wanted.