MH bulb question?

gotpancit

Say for example I have a 400w hamilton magnetic ballast for a single mogal base, can I put in any 400w bulb? Or does it have to be a hamilton?
I thought there was a sticky on this a couple weeks back but can't find it anymore.

scsinet

Not necessarily. You have to ensure you have a probe start lamp if your ballast is probe start.
If you have a pulse start ballast you can use any screw in 400w lamp.

gotpancit

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2971317
Not necessarily. You have to ensure you have a probe start lamp if your ballast is probe start.
If you have a pulse start ballast you can use any screw in 400w lamp.
Is there anyway I can find out which one I have just by lifting the cover? I'm not sure if this is the part number but there was a 2mw400w on it. Could have just been the previous owners label though.

scsinet

Almost every magnetic ballast you find in the aquarium world is probe start.
Given that the ballast is magnetic, you can find out easily enough if you are willing to take the ballast apart. Each 400 watt lamp should have it's own ballast core. Attached to each core should be either one or two components. One is a capacitor. The other, if present, is an ignitor. If there is an ignitor present, it's a pulse start. If not, it's a probe start.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2971502
Almost every magnetic ballast you find in the aquarium world is probe start.

Hamilton, sunlight supply (blue wave almost exclusively pulse or HQI) and PFO what I'd consider 3 of the most popular magnetic ballast suppliers in the aquarium world all offered pulse start ballast for nothing to $10 more over probe start and in 175w and 400w form are fairly popular due to the popular bulbs designed to run pulse start (ushio and AB 175w bulbs and Radiums, Ushio, reeflux all pulse start 400w bulb) so I wouldn't assume its going to be probe start based on it being an aquarium trade ballast.