MH Bulb

tekdave

I got a MH retro kit from a buddy that is 250w and came with a 6500k iwaski bulb. Now the bulb that came with it works but every other bulb I try will not fire. I would like to get a 14k bulb that will work with this ballast. The iwaski bulb has a small peice inside that fires before the bulb does and all other bulbs I have seen do not have this. Does anyone know where I maybe able to get a 14k bulb for this? texasextremepits@aol.com

farslayer

I believe that there are magnetic and electronic start ballasts and perhaps that is where the problem lies? If I were you, I would borrow some bulbs from your LFS and see if they work. My LFS has done this for customers in the past which they secured with a credit card. Post some specifics about what tyep of ballast and base and such you have, maybe an expert on MH can help.

farslayer

That's odd as I've not heard of different K not working in different bases. Post the specifics of your base/ballast, somebody here is going to know.

farslayer

Hey, you are trying 250W bulbs, right? Cause the wattage is typically not interchangeable. And are you positive it is a 250, maybe it's not and, if you are trying to use 250s, that could be the problem.

tekdave

Its a M58 ballest and with the Iwaki 6500k it worked for several yrs on my buddy's tank. I have ordered 4 different 250w bulbs of different brands and none of them work on this set-up but all work on my other 250w M58. I just dont have any actinic's on this particular tank and the 6500k looks horriable

farslayer

Agreed, 6500 is ugly. You know, you may have an issue where that's not a 250W base. If the bulbs work in your other 250W, but not in this one, that may be the source of your problem. Do you have access to any other W bulb to try this out? Just a guess is all.

tekdave

I have a 400w and it wont work either. I didnt think the base mattered. If you buy a new mogul base it never lists a wattage for it.

tekdave

Dont forget the other 250w bulb works fine. That small piece it has that the other bulds dont have lights up first then the bulb fires and the small one goes out. Seems to be some kind of hard start or something.