MH bulbs, What K?

buzzword

I am planning for when I have to change bulbs and have researched the different bulbs but am still unsure what would be better. I like the Radium 20K, the Hamilton 14K, Venture 13K. Single ended 250w bulbs. Any others I should look into? Anyone with experience with these bulbs? Pros and cons? Any info would be helpful. Thanks

viper_930

Personally, I'm not too fond of Hamiltons and would try to stay away from them.
I'd go with a Phoenix 14kk bulb. They're made from Japan and are comparable to the Aquaconnects as one of the best out there, but at half the cost. The trouble would be finding them available.
Otherwise, the k rating you want would be up to you. A higher k appears more blue, while a lower k is less blue. And a higher k would give better colors but slower growth due to a lower PAR (photosynthetic available radiation).

buzzword

Thanks Viper. I have 10K XM's right now and they have been fine but I want to get a higher K so I was debating between 14K and 20K. I have 4x65w PC actinics as well. Do you know where I could find Phoenix bulbs? And do they make them in single ended? Thanks for your help.

viper_930

I do know a few sources but I cannot list them or give them to you via email. There hasn't been much talk at all about the Phoenix bulbs on SWF.com, but there's a much bigger saltwater forum, and if you know about it do a search for Phoenix on there. That'll point you to a few places to get them. The cheapest I know of is $55 but usually sells for $60.
The Phoenixes are only available in double-ended 14kk in either 150 watt or 250 watt.

buzzword

Thanks again Viper, I understand about not being able to give the info. Seeing as they are only double ended then that rules them out for me anyway. I keep seeing that some places say the Radium bulbs need a HQI ballast, I have a PFO dual 250w MH would that be able to power the Radium bulbs? I am having trouble finding out if it is an ellectronic or magnetic ballast, any ideas? thanks again for your help.