MH cooling fan question

nickoz

I have a question regarding airflow direction for 2 400w MH in a 48in canopy. See below... I was told by someone that is is not good to directly blow cool air on the bulbs, but I have been told contradictory statements as well..
1. (fan) ----> [MHBULB] [MHBULB] (fan) ---->
2. <---- (fan) [MHBULB] [MHBULB] (fan) ---->
3. (fan) ----> [MHBULB] [MHBULB] <---- (fan)
Thanks,
-nick

S

sebae0

i have 2 fans blowing across 3 mh bulbs(2/250's & 1/175).1 fan blows in and the other blows out, and it works very good. remember though mine is a open canopy not enclosed.

jester

not enclosed
1. (fan) ----> [MHBULB] [MHBULB] (fan) ---->
or
enclosed

[hr]
> (fan)

[hr]
>
[MHBULB] [MHBULB]

[hr]
> (fan)

[hr]
>

jacksonpt

I have my fans both blowing into the canopy (44g pent) and things stay pretty cool. I have read several posts on this board that say it's best to put the fans in the top of the canopy blowing out. Heat naturally rises, so put it makes sense to put the fans where the heat is. Cooler air will be pulled in as the warmer air is sucked out by the fans.

slothy

nick, do a search, broomer has a book written in one post about cooling.. i cant remember the thread

krusk

Forced air-cooling for packaged electronic enclosures can be achieved by either evacuation (with fan on exhaust side) or pressurizing the enclosure with a fan on the intake side. This choice should be made early in the design process. Although both theoretically use the same volume of air to dissipate the heat, they have different effects on placement of components within the enclosure.
When using an exhaust fan, the air distribution inside the cabinet is flexible and heat from the fan itself is not dissipated into the cabinet. Evacuation has the disadvantage of reducing the pressure within the enclosure, so airborne dust is drawn in through all the vents and cracks in the enclosure. Filtering of the fan on the exhaust side is extremely difficult. A further benefit is that the enclosure is slightly pressurized so that dust is not drawn into the enclosure from the surrounding environment.
The disadvantage of intake fans is that filters must be changed frequently to eliminate dust accumulation. A clogged filter can severely restrict airflow, causing elevated temperatures in an enclosure that may be more of a problem than the dust itself. Another disadvantage of a fan that pressurizes the system is that air dissipated by the fan motor can slightly warm the incoming air. This can reduce the air's cooling effect. Components that have the most critical cooling requirements should be placed closest to the air inlets. High temperature components should be placed closest to the air outlets.
If exclusion of dust is required, it is better to use a fan that pulls air into the enclosure. In this configuration, a filter at the fan inlet can remove dust from the incoming air.
Air that is drawn into the fan flows in a continuous, non-turbulent movement called laminar flow, which allows for a uniformly distributed airflow velocity in the enclosure. This is important in eliminating stagnant air and hot spots. Air exhausted from the fan is turbulent. Heat dissipation in a turbulent airflow can be up to twice that of a laminar flow with the same volumetric flow rate, except that the turbulent airflow region near a fan exhaust is normally limited.
Developing a well-defined airflow path through the whole enclosure is essential to minimizing airflow waste. Vents should be at least 50 percent larger than the fan openings themselves. Care must also be taken to eliminate air re-circulation in a fan, as over ninety percent of the airflow can be lost. Baffles may be used to eliminate re-circulation of the same air since an airflow path will always take the path of least resistance.
Subassemblies and components within the enclosure should be positioned to direct the airflow to places that require cooling. Component placement should always be considered in order to take advantage of natural convection; for example, placing warm components above cool components. Avoid placing large components so that they shield smaller components from the flow of air. Use baffles, where necessary, to direct the airflow to critical hot spots.
Smaller systems usually use axial cooling fans, where airflow is perpendicular to the fan blades. The airflow required to dissipate the heat generated can either be obtained by calculation or from a graph. This airflow requirement will depend on the heat generated within the enclosure and the maximum temperature rise permitted. When estimating the power dissipated within a system, use a worst-case estimate for a fully loaded system to allow for the possibility of future changes and additions of heat generating subsystems.
In many applications, using an intake fan rather than an exhaust fan can double or triple the life of the fan. The heated air passing over an exhaust fan stresses the fan's bearings much more than the 25°C air flowing over an intake fan.

nickoz

Broomer,
I appreciate your comments on this subject however due to my reflectors and the dimensions on my canopy I am unable to put the fans on the top of my canopy. So my options are the ones I stated on the original post.
The main question I have is... can I blow 'cooler' air directly on my 400w MH bulbs?
Since my original post I have put a fan on the left side of my canopy blowing out. So should I put the fan on the right side blowing in my canopy or blowing out my canopy?
Thanks,
-nick

broomer5

nick,
If I was in your situation - I would have both fans blowing out,
providing I had a vent down low near the water surface drawing in cooler room air.
That's my opinion. I like to evacuate warm air OUT and allow the cooler air to be "pulled" into the canopy.
My intention would be to remove warm air and avoid having the warm air reaching the water surface - not to even try to cool a metal halide lamp.

fishfood

I thougth blowing air directly at the bulb was a bad idea. I was under the impression that if you want to blow the air in do not direct it at the bulb.
I still haven't put the fans on mine yet. I have run the mh for about 4 hrs a day so far and the high temp was 81. I'm wondering if i'll need two. I'm think i'll go with two 3 in fans on each side and will try it blowing in and out. I put a heat/ac vent cover on the top of the tank. It is covered by the reflector but there is a gap for the air to get out.