MH Layout ? for a 200g

scott9311

My problem is my new tank is 7' long. I'm undecided if I am going to use 3 or 4 250w MH's (w/3 or 4 110 Actinic VHO). 3 doesn't quite cover the "2' rule", but 4 is a bit too much (if you can actually have TOO much light)... and it has me concerned about heat problems.

thegrog

I would go with the 3 MHs. If you get three HQIs, the heat will be even less. Either 3 or 4 VHOs will be plenty.
By going with three, place one center and one 2' to each side. Concentrate your more light-demanding corals in the center and the less light-demanding ones near the ends. Or, just have the rock piles end 6-8" from each end and provide open space for fish (simulates open water at the edge of the reef). Be creative.

scott9311

I was kind of leaning towards 3 as well... I already have the lights for 4, but I could always put the extra MH on my fuge. Plus, I'm leaving one MH on my 120 for my lighting needs aren't that extreme because I'm going with an aggressive setup in it (FOWLR).

robchuck

3 MH lights should be fine, especially with a good reflector. The Diamond Lumenarc 3 reflector is a great one for wide spreads and houses a mogul socket. The coverage from one of these would dominate any Spider reflector or any HQI reflector.
For what it's worth, I'm setting up a 92"L x 30"W tank right now with just 3 MH lights (2x250W and 1x400W). The person I bought this tank from used 3x MH spaced evenly in huge PFO reflectors and had great coverage over the tank. Eventually, I plan to upgrade to the Lumenarc 3's, as the current reflectors are starting to show thier age.

scott9311

I have Spider's now... but will keep in mind the others if I don't like the coverage. My canopy is going to be about 13", so I'm hoping that with the extra height, I should get decent coverage.
Yep... Gem Tang it is. I'd love to get one, but I already have a Yellow who thinks it's the "King of the Hill". I'm going to stock my 200 with various other species and put the Yellow in last, but since the Gem is a Zebramosa also, I don't want to risk having both.

acrylic51

The Lumenarcs are sweet, I've been checking them out and asked awhile ago about them. Alittle salty though..any good prices Rob?