MH Light makes temp rise

steve223

My aquarium has been set up for 5 weeks. I just got a new MH/Flor system. The water tempature in my aquarium rose from 78 to 84. I set my heater on 82 to keep H2O the same. Only LR and 2 gobys in 55 gal tank. What corals and fish like 84 water? Thanks for all your help...

fishieness

for most of the items in the aquarium trade, 84 is like the max that is okay. But it usualy isnt super to keep them at that for a very long time. try turning your heater down. Cooling down the room with an AC, or pointing a small fan at the surface of your tank. It will cause a lot more evaporation and when the liquid form of water forms into a gas, it takes kinetic energy along with it (heat). however, you will notice a very large change in the amount of evaporation. You can also raise your MHs further off of the tank.

washowi

I will pass on a tip I got from Walt Smith. Look him up if you are not familiar with him or his name. Anyway, he told me ALL of his corals come from water of around 74 to 76 degrees. And that all tanks should be kept at 78 degrees or less.
Now that I have said that, I am sure I will get blasted, and hear BS and I run tanks at 82 degrees, etc. But I keep mine at 78 and max's out at 80 during the day. Tank never looked better and aglea growth is minimal. Best thing I did.
Fish - they can take it. to mid 80's at best.
I think you should look at trying to reduce the heat. A chiller is one solution. The cheap way for me was putting a cheap $6 clip fan I got at Target over my sump. That dropped the temp 3 degrees in my tank. (I have 2-400w MH and 2-135w PC's).
Let the blasting begin, but mid 80's in my opinion is no good. for corals or fish. Look at the bleaching of corals worldwide. Temperature rises and coral do not mix.
Todd

saltfan

Originally Posted by steve223
What coral or fish like 82 to 84?
Take a cooling fan and have it blow over the water surface, this will help your temp out.

fishieness

Originally Posted by washowi
Let the blasting begin, but mid 80's in my opinion is no good. for corals or fish. Look at the bleaching of corals worldwide. Temperature rises and coral do not mix.
Todd
i dont think there will be too much bashing?! why the heck would there? What you said was completly true. and people do keep their tanks at around 80-82, but they cant bash you if what you ahve is working for you. I kepe my 3 tanks at the exact same temp as you and everything is fine.

reefnut

Personally I'd add a fan and try to keep the tank around 82. I run my tanks between 80-82 and all of my corals are doing great. IMO 84 isn't all that bad but I personally wouldn't let it get much higher. With proper acclimation the corals will do fine at that temp...

agent707

One thing to take note of. I have seen a lot of MH setups where there was NOTHING inbetween the bulb and the water. Very bad idea. You need at minimum a small piece of tempered glass as a "heat shield" when using those bulbs... for Anything.
I've even seen factory retail setups like this...

[hr]
bulbs. I'd never waste my money on such crap.

reefnut

Originally Posted by Agent707
One thing to take note of. I have seen a lot of MH setups where there was NOTHING inbetween the bulb and the water. Very bad idea. You need at minimum a small piece of tempered glass as a "heat shield" when using those bulbs... for Anything.
I've even seen factory retail setups like this...

[hr]
bulbs. I'd never waste my money on such crap.
I'd have to disagree... unless you are running double ended bulbs. Single ended bulbs do not "need" a shield.

bang guy

Originally Posted by steve223
What coral or fish like 82 to 84?
Anything from the Red Sea Reefs will thrive in those temperatures.
Examples include Montipira digitata, Montipora capricornius, Red Sea Xenia, Scrolling Hammer, Green Frogspawn, etc.
I'd avoid Acropora above 80F but some can do OK. If you try Acro make sure you have a LOT of waterflow at the higher temperatures or they will suffocate.

hagfish

Running your heater on a timer opposite your MH can help stabilize things if you get big swings in temp.
Also, get a fan. Then you won't have to worry about this.

J

jupoc911

The high water temp in honduras in the very late of summer can reach 88 degrees. With acclimation I believe any coral can survive the water temp as long as every other need is met.

misfit

I will pass on a tip I got from Walt Smith. Look him up if you are not familiar with him or his name. Anyway, he told me ALL of his corals come from water of around 74 to 76 degrees. And that all tanks should be kept at 78 degrees or less.
Now that I have said that, I am sure I will get blasted, and hear BS and I run tanks at 82 degrees, etc. But I keep mine at 78 and max's out at 80 during the day. Tank never looked better and aglea growth is minimal. Best thing I did.
Fish - they can take it. to mid 80's at best.
I think you should look at trying to reduce the heat. A chiller is one solution. The cheap way for me was putting a cheap $6 clip fan I got at Target over my sump. That dropped the temp 3 degrees in my tank. (I have 2-400w MH and 2-135w PC's).
Todd
I agree with you ,I keep my tank 78-80 tops and all is good. I have one tang that stresses big time if the temp goes over 80 at all.You shouldnt be bashed for true statments

washowi

Let's get back to the glass shield. You most certainly do need one. Tempered, with UV protection. Which I think tempered gives you. You can not use MH without that. You will burn the corals. Also single ended without glass shield = very bad idea. I am not sure that the glass bulb has UV protection, but if you get a water splash on that f-ing 1000 degree bulb, BANG!! glass all in your aquarium. Try and clean that up!
My 3 cents worth.
78 degrees all the time. best temerature.
Todd

bang guy

The glass outer envelope of Single-Ended MH bulbs provides all of the UV shielding necessary.
The risk of spash is real but I run my SEs open when I can. The DE's have no glass to shield the MH arc an therefore require a UV shield of some type.

bang guy

78 degrees all the time. best temerature.
Todd
It depends on the animals you're keeping. I don't believe you can generalize that any single temperature is best for all reef organisms.

J

jupoc911

78 degrees imo is not the best temperature. If you read through borneman's book you will be shocked to see that the average reef temp is 82 degrees.

slgcmg

I have a little fan that blows directly on my 400W MH bulb. It does not get hot. I have no protection between the bulb and water but there is about an 8 inch seperation, My corals look great. No burning or nothing.

bang guy

Originally Posted by Jupoc911
78 degrees imo is not the best temperature. If you read through borneman's book you will be shocked to see that the average reef temp is 82 degrees.
Make sure you qualify that - "Average Tropical Reef Temperature". There are many many temperate reefs some where the temp rarely climbs above 60F

bang guy

Originally Posted by slgcmg
I have a little fan that blows directly on my 400W MH bulb. It does not get hot. I have no protection between the bulb and water but there is about an 8 inch seperation, My corals look great. No burning or nothing.
Point the fan at the water instead of the bulb. Cooling a MH bulb does not change the temperature of the water and makes the bulb run less efficiently.