MH light question.. 14000K 20000K?

N

n_sarno

I just got 2 175 watt mogul type metal halide setups. I am looking into new bulbs since they need replaced.. I love the blue look like the actinic lights.. But I have heard that the 20000K do not help w/ coral growth?
The current lights are 14000k.. and they are nice but not really blue AT all.. so I dont know how much I like them..
Any suggestions on other intensities?

tony detroit

Add actinics or run 20's. 14's aren't enough blue by themselves usually unless you get one of the bluer bulbs.
Growth is in the water quality, not the lights. Get your water quality straight, then go deciding on lights.

saltfan

Originally Posted by tony detroit
Add actinics or run 20's. 14's aren't enough blue by themselves usually unless you get one of the bluer bulbs.
Growth is in the water quality, not the lights. Get your water quality straight, then go deciding on lights.
Umm HUH?? If he has the reef going, and had no lights, water quality would mean absoultely nothing.... 14k is a very good light. Beats the 10k and not many are high on the 20k.

N

n_sarno

Originally Posted by SaltFan
not many are high on the 20k.
what do you mean by this?

teen

10k is best for coral growth, and clams. i would jsut stick with the 14, or switch to 10k for better growth, and supplement with an actinic pc.

saltfan

Originally Posted by N_Sarno
what do you mean by this?
Haven't seen to many people using the 20k or like it.

saltfan

Originally Posted by teen
10k is best for coral growth, and clams. i would jsut stick with the 14, or switch to 10k for better growth, and supplement with an actinic pc.
Well, actually. Wouldn't 6700k be the best then? Supplimenting with Actinic? Being that 6700k is the sun at high noon?

mudplayerx

Well, actually. Wouldn't 6700k be the best then? Supplimenting with Actinic? Being that 6700k is the sun at high noon?
6700k is inadequate for corals, isn't it?
Your best bet is using 14k or 10k with actinic supplementation.

oceana

Haven't seen to many people using the 20k or like it.

i use radium 400's. i dont think anyone could say i get poor growth. the radium bulbs is a top notch choice if you chose to go with a higher K rating. if ran properly on a german made pulse start ballast they are a wonderful light

murph145

i run 250W 20K DE's Helios HQI on a PFO HQI ballast
i get good growth and i love the colors it brings out
i believe lighting is only one issue if u have all your issues together such as lighting water conditions and flow u should have a nice reef that most corals will do excellent in