Mh lighting Question

emmitt2

I have a chance to buy some 250w DE Reef Optix III fixtures with Icecap ballasts.
Any feedback for this brand? Thumbs up or down for this model?

fishcake

Hi,
the reef optix reflectors are one of the best you can buy.
Ice cap is another top name brand.
So....
I give it 2 thumbs up.

emmitt2

Thank you for the response.
What would you say is a fair price for 3x 250w reef optix with icecap ballasts with a 4x54 t-5 supplement that is about a year old?

fishcake

the reef optix reflector's are roughlY $100-120 a piece new,
used, Maybe $50 each.
As far as the ballast goes..
You would have to see what it goes for new
then figure at least half that if it's in real good condition.
IMHO.

emmitt2

No, he has them all retrofit into his hood. The 3 mh and a 4x54 t-5 are all set into his canopy, also he has 2 fans thrown in. The bulbs are about a year old and he wants $700 shipped. Sounds a little high since the bulbs need to be replaced soon.

fishcake

sounds high to me.
reef optix pendants go for 110.00 each, New.
ballasts to run them another 300.00 to 400.00 depending on brand!
What is the canopy made out of?

emmitt2

I thought it was a little high. The canopy isnt included, i have a wood AGA canopy i would put it in.
The only thing making it close was the T-5 4x54 that he was throwing in. Still seems a little high for 1 year old setup that will soon need new bulbs.

emmitt2

Thanks.
Do i really need that much light for a lps and softie tank? Would i be just as good with 3x250w and some pc actinics?

fishcake

You don't need all that lighting for softy and lps.
But..
you will be able to keep everything with that lighting.
clams, sps etc...

I have the reef optix III with icecap ballasts and I think they are great. I have 2 250's with 2 110 w vho actinics. They look great. I was thinking about adding the other 2 actinics that my vho ballast will run because with 10K hallides I think my tank is a little white. I say get them if you need all three. If not I would just get them new. Of course you could always sell the third one to get back some of your money if you don't need it. Good lights though.
Rich

emmitt2

Thanks guys, i'm letting the offer on these pass i think though. $650 shipped is just too much since they need new bulbs(approx$275-300 more) and are a year old. I think i have decided to get the coralife 3x150mh 4x96pc fixture. I can get it for about $835 new and warrantied, only downside is the 10k bulbs it comes with instead of my preferred 14k phoenix bulbs. Oh well, i'll actually look forward to the bulbs dying for a change