MH lighting question.

rook

Hey all,
I need some advice. I want to upgrade my current lighting to metal halide. I currently have a 29 gallon mixed reef with 3 55watt pc's. I want to be able to keep sps and clams, yet still keep my softies and lower light lps.
I was thinking of going with 250 watt MH so I could use it when I upgrade to a larger tank in a year to or so. But, 250 is a lot on a 29 gallon if I want to keep my lower light corals.
So I was thinking 175 watt mh. But, since at some point in time I want a bigger tank, I want to get the least expensive, but yet still good quality, mh setup I can find.
Any ideas on what I should do, what I should buy, or where I should but it from????
BTW, I am looing for something to install into a canopy and use a 10K bulb and retro fit two of my 55watt pc's as actinic suppliment.
Thanks.

rook

Thanks for your help Plum. Not to disrespect, but I have had a lot of different opinions on whether to go with 175 or 250.
Does anyone else have any thoughts?

azonic

250 will be a lot on a 29 gallon tank yes. But really it's only 75 watts more so when you think about it, it isn't all that much.
I would get the 250's to save the hassle of switching again down the road. Just place your softies in the lower part of the tank....trust me, they won't mind the light. I put dual 400 watters over my 90 gallon which was full of softies and LPS(brains, bubble, torch, etc) and everything started growing like weeds. My colt got around 9 inches tall before my tank crashed and wiped out everything. :-(
But yeah, the 250's would be your best bet....and honestly, buy used...you'll save yourself a whole heap of cash. There are various message boards other then this one that have much larger classified sections and there are always various lighting setups for sale. You'll have to find them on your own ;)
Also, one more thing....I would not buy a used bulb. If someone includes one with a setup, buy a new one. I got ripped off on "3 month old bulbs" from someone which turned my tank into nothing but algae....they were older then 3 months :)
HTH

rook

Thanks SF, I was reading your threads about cooltouch. How long have you had them?? Have you knowticed any problems?
I was looking either at that or the pfo setup. The pfo is slightly more expensive, maybe $20 for the 175 watt single mh setup.

N

newreefers

If you look at me thread "sps question" I just went through the same thing. I upgraded to the 250. Now I won't have to upgrade my lights for anthing I want in the tank. Just my opinion but I would do the 250. You can always put it a bit higher over this tank, and then would have good lights for a larger tank down the road.