MH Lighting suggestions?

harley387

Hi all. I presently have a 90 gallon tank with VHO and PC lighting. My hood is stuffed full of lights, but I still have only about 4.2 watts per gallon. I would like to add two small metal halides to my hood and I may be able to fit them if I remove my "night lights". My question is, does anyone know of an economical (cheap) and very compact MH setup that I could use? I know I read a thread yesterday that mentioned MH lights for around $100 if you DIY. Would this setup be small enough?

michaeltx

most the bulbs are generally the same size.
if you are wanting to go with MH then I would sugest take the PCs out they are the best atinic anyway couple with MH the rather suck anyway. use the VHO as atinic lights and add 2 250 watt MH for amin lighting and it should do fine and free up a little room in the canopy as well. as far as $100 setup I have no clue about that. I bought my 1-150 watt setup used for 250 with the bulbs. but if you search the net you can find cheaper prices.
before you buy though come back and ask about the setup there are some setups out there that are subpar and can catch fire easly/.
Mike

harley387

Originally posted by MichaelTX
most the bulbs are generally the same size.
if you are wanting to go with MH then I would sugest take the PCs out they are the best atinic anyway couple with MH the rather suck anyway. use the VHO as atinic lights and add 2 250 watt MH for amin lighting and it should do fine and free up a little room in the canopy as well. as far as $100 setup I have no clue about that. I bought my 1-150 watt setup used for 250 with the bulbs. but if you search the net you can find cheaper prices.
before you buy though come back and ask about the setup there are some setups out there that are subpar and can catch fire easly/.
Mike

Huh? So, are you saying that I should remove the PC's or remove the VHO's? It's not really clear in your post.

jarvis

Originally posted by harley387
Huh? So, are you saying that I should remove the PC's or remove the VHO's? It's not really clear in your post.

I think he is saying to use true actinics. URIs for the VHOs. I do belive someone makes a PC that is a true actinic. I could be wrong. Mabee someone could clarify it for you.

michaeltx

sorry I have missed your post but yeah if you go MH then use VHO. the PC and MH combo sucks in my opinion the atinic isnt all that great so you dont get the coral glow like you do with VHO.
if you are wanting to go with MH then I would sugest take the PCs out they are the best atinic anyway couple with MH the rather suck anyway.anyway. use the VHO as atinic lights and add 2 250 watt MH for amin lighting and it should do fine and free up a little room in the canopy as well
WAS SUPPOSED TO READ
if you are wanting to go with MH then I would suggest take the PCs out they areNT the best atinic anyway couple THAT with MH they rather suck

[hr]
anyway use the VHO as atinic lights and add 2 250 watt MH for MAIN lighting and it should do fine and free up a little room in the canopy as well
does that make more sense than the babble before... man what a couple letters can change it completely up LOL
sorry for the confusion
Mike