MH Lights for a standart 55g

nasotang00

I have your standard 55 gallon 48"x13"x21" tank. Currently I've got 2 96w PC and 1 65w PC. I am thinking of changing to MH. I understand that you should have 1 MH for each 2'x 2' area. I am looking at the 175w 55K retro kit, ballast, bulb, reflector, socket, etc for $165. For this size tank, if I were to keep the 2 96w PC (will use both as blue bulbs), do I need to get two MH sets or can I just use one???
Thnks all
~naso

kris walker

I think with the PC's, you are spreading those lumens out over too large an area to be useful by themselves to any hard coral. So, I would get 2 MH to add. Unless, you want strong light on one side, and less light on the other, to simulate some sort of natural environment.
sam

nasotang00

What I was looking to do was center the MH (length and width of the canopy) and place one 36" 96w PC front left and the other 36" 96w PC back right. that should illuminate the entire tank quite nicely. Ya think???

YOU'LL PROBLY STILL GET DARK SPOTS ON THE SIDES, I'D GO WITH TWO MH'S. I ONCE SAW A LINK TO A COOL SITE ON HOW TO BUILD YOUR OWN FOR UNDER A HUNDRED BUCKS ON THIS SITE.

kris walker

If I were you, I would go with 2 MH, one on each side in addition to the 2 PC's. The PC's would then be an excellent supplement, making your lighting system perfect for anything you want. I am assuming you want hard corals.
sam